Motor mounts, motor mounts, motor mounts

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Motor mounts, motor mounts, motor mounts

Post by kulluminati777 »

I understand when you swap to a ZE it is wise to upgrade the motor mounts, either by filling the stock ones or buying new ones. I know about the AWR, king6 ect. type mounts but i dont want TOO much engine vibration from solid poly mounts like that....and me wanting to use as much mazdaspeed on my car as possible If i could find the mazdaspeed mounts corksort used to sell would these be enough or not for a ZE swap. Im going only a N/A route so alot of added power is not an issue.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Motor mounts, motor mounts, motor mounts

Post by Daninski »

If your wanting to buy MS mounts then the [FS] section would get better results. As far filling your mounts some have used JB Weld but I've never heard about this products performance a year later so I'm skeptical. I used a two part system and it worked great and the car is still being driven 4 years later with no problems from the mounts. If you fill them and they're too stiff simply drill one or two holes through the rubber to allow the mounts to flex a little more. I used Flexane 94 and found it a little stiff, Flexane 80 might work better for you. http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-series ... hings.html

I used this and it worked very well. http://www.freemansupply.com/DevconFlexane94Fle.htm One small can could do Two MX-3s. I didn't remove the existing rubber from the mount I simply masked off the one side and poured the Flexane into the other side. This product is meant to create rubber bushings when replacements are not available. Cheers.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
davmac

Post by davmac »

I'm using AWR mounts and vibration is not an issue. I daily drive my MX3 and would not be happy if it was too noisy, harsh or vibrating every stop light. These V6 engines are smooth enough at idle so vibration is not a problem even with solid mounts. I've filled the mounts on some 4 cylinder engines and found them to be too harsh with noticeable vibration at idle.

If you fill them definitely use the 2 part urethane products. When you're back in the US you can order 2 part urethane from McMaster Carr. The 2 part urethane fill will hold up much better than 3M window weld or JB weld (first I heard of that). God bless the drivers who can put up with a car using hockey pucks for mounts - that's not for me.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

For an N/A ZE I recommend 88 durometer front Probe and rear MX-3 AWR mounts. Stock for the sides is fine (or MS if you can find them).
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Ok so i guess i thought wrong about stiff motor mounts. I may get the AWR for the front and back but the KING6 passenger just for show :shrug: but i wouldnt mind MS mounts. I also doubt ill find any in the for sale section but the AWR looks like they are priced pretty well for the whole package
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

@Mark, do you know if King6 worked out a good transmission mount ?

You had one of the first right? As I understood it didn't fit in a plug and play way.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”