antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Where the hell is my oil?

Post by SBR »

Brief overview:

-247k km
-Mobil1 0W40 + Mobil1 filter
-Previously used Castrol Syntec 5W50 + Mobil1 filter
-Changed oil approximately 2000km ago, about 3 weeks ago

After two trips to and from Toronto and Barrie, I noticed HLA tick. Normally my engine does that for a second when I start the car only, never during my drive.
Checked oil level, below low point. As soon as I got home, checked the ground if it was leaking from the oil pan, nope. It is not burning it as far as I can tell, had my friend see if the smoke was bluish, nope. The spark plugs are normal, not a trace of oil on them.

Anyone have any ideas where the hell my oil is going? The only assumption I can make is it's leaking into the coolant, but coolant looks normal and not oily.
Black 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS - daily driver
Kenwood BT-948HD, MB Quart FX4.100 and ONX1.1000D, Polk MM6501 x4, Polk MM1240
SE interior, MOMO Endurance shift boot, Tomei long shift knob, eBay short shifter

Red 1987 Toyota MR2 - go kart

"If it's crazy you want, it's crazy you get."
Ryan

Re: Where the hell is my oil?

Post by Ryan »

Since all magic is illusion, if there are no spots on your driveway, you're burning it. See it it smokes more at startup or warm idle (minus the normal condensation smoke) or under load mid RPM. (WOT 2nd gear pull). at warmup is valve guides/stem seals, and under power is rings. A compression check will also tell you if it is rings.

Also, I strongly suggest you run a 5 or 10w30 grade oil. If anything, you want to run a lower grade than higher, this is a common misconception.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

Will first things first your oil is way to thick. You want to use 5w30 a anything more is way to thick and is going to cause increase wear and less oil flow in the tighter clearances.no idea where its leaking though. How is your pcv valve? What about your rear valve cover gasket? Any oil behind the timing belt cover?
SBR

Post by SBR »

I will do a compression test sometime, but there is no blue smoke from burning oil.
Owners manual states 0W30 for best performance, 10W30 for normal. A 0W40 isn't going to ruin anything. These aren't F1 engines :P.

It doesn't seem to be the oil. I've run a few types, different weights, and same thing.

From first change to now:
EDGE 5W30, gets low on oil. Went to Syntec 5W50, same. Used Mobil1 0W40 because of our weird cold to hot weather randomly, still losing oil.
As far as common sense can tell, the weight of oil is not relevant. They all are lost in the same amount of kilometers. Only reason I'm seeing it with the Mobil1 so fast is because I put 2000km, mostly within the last week. Usually I do about 4000km every 3 months.

PCV valve is fine. It is less than 6 months old, and is working fine. No oil visible anywhere on the engine.
SE interior, MOMO Endurance shift boot, Tomei long shift knob, eBay short shifter

mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

more then likely your rings arnt sealing the oil out...
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

if you like it then you should put some rings on it... that's my vote. you're burning it straight from the bottom.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

SuperK wrote:if you like it then you should put some rings on it... that's my vote. you're burning it straight from the bottom.
DE swap is my vote. My k8 burned about a quart every 3k before she gave up on life. Why invest in a k8?
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
SBR

Post by SBR »

DE swap is most likely for me, found one for $100 local, but as is I don't have the time to do an engine swap, nor would I like to invest significant money into the K8. Going to run the K8 until it dies, but would like not to replace oil all the time. Already won a set of Colt N/A cams on eBay for $250.

Picked up a compression tester for $10, going to see how it is. Will test with and without a teaspoon of oil in cylinder.

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

SuperK wrote:if you like it then you should put some rings on it... that's my vote. you're burning it straight from the bottom.
Ok, someone had to post this,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1EFMoRFvY even tho I can't believe people listen to and watch this crap. IMO Wha oh oh oh oh oh wha oh oh oh oh oh,,,,,
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

SBR wrote: Anyone have any ideas where the hell my oil is going?

I asked someone very intelligent:

He said, "Over there, over there and up there."
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”