Bang for buck- noise, ride and more.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
LouisvilleJesse
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Bang for buck- noise, ride and more.

Post by LouisvilleJesse »

Hey mx3ers.
Im a college student who has had a mostly stock, 95 mx3 for a few years. I fell in love with it quickly. I've wanted to work on it for a long time, but I've lacked both time and money. However, this summer, I will hopefully have enough of both to get somewhere.
This is where I am aiming at. I really want to try and make the car all around quieter, but I am unsure of how to really silence the interior. I've seen dampening and insulation methods, but I am doubtful that they will have a whole lot of effect. I want the inside to be super quiet.
Also, I would really like to smoothen the ride. Is this even possible, being the size of the car?

Furthermore, what is the best way to get more bang for buck (in any area of the car)?

Any help would be appreciated.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Bang for buck- noise, ride and more.

Post by SuperK »

welcome, and read this thread:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=75285

you may want to also look over and have your exhaust worked on, any holes will ruin it. stock exhaust is a must, make sure the resonator is still there. The OEM setup is quite quiet.

The stock suspension is the softest ride you'll find.

I would nag some 93 mx-3 seats, they're quite more comfortable.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Our plastic interior is terribly loud.

A few culprits:

The stock hatch HINGES are what do most of the clunking back there. Mazda now sells an updated version. If its still noisy, re-set the receiver so it holds the hatch in tension against the weather stripping.

The flip up panels in the back may wiggle in their clips. Putting a little bit of tension on it, by putting a foam paddy under it somewhere can help.

The hatch and trunk trims rattles together. Putting a thin strip of foam between them (or a light bead of removable silicone when assembling them) can do wonders.

The spare tire well is not fastened to the floor, line the edge of it where it contacts the floor pan with foam, and/or weight it down (perhaps with a strapped down subwoofer?)

Our doors are a major place for sound to enter. Wound proofing the door is going to be good bang for buck.

One that I found helped a little was spraying the wheel well and wheel well liners with a heavy coat of rockerguard so the stone noises are dulled a bit. You can also fill your rocker panels with expanding foam, but I do not suggest this unless they are in immaculate condition, otherwise the foam can speed up the rusting process.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
DeadMaker
antispam: No

Post by DeadMaker »

Ryan wrote:Our plastic interior is terribly loud.

A few culprits:

The stock hatch HINGES are what do most of the clunking back there. Mazda now sells an updated version.
Do you have any information on this?It is specific for mx3?
Any link?
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/search.php

go to mazda, ask them for hatch hinges for an MX3.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

Thanks man..
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
LouisvilleJesse

Post by LouisvilleJesse »

Okay. Thank you all.

What about the muffler though? Is the stock muffler my best bet for being quiet? Or is there anything you all recommend?

On a slightly different note though, I've been looking at a few body kits, and all have been going at close to 500 with shipping. Am I looking in the wrong places or is this to be expected?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

definitely stock muffler. I would strongly suggest considering not doing a bodykit. This ismy personal experienc, but 500 dollars is a lot of money to be spending making your car uglier.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan wrote:The stock hatch HINGES are what do most of the clunking back there. Mazda now sells an updated version. If its still noisy, re-set the receiver so it holds the hatch in tension against the weather stripping.

The flip up panels in the back may wiggle in their clips. Putting a little bit of tension on it, by putting a foam paddy under it somewhere can help.

The spare tire well is not fastened to the floor, line the edge of it where it contacts the floor pan with foam, and/or weight it down (perhaps with a strapped down subwoofer?)
These 3 I can attest to, 100%. Strapping a sub down with ratchet straps(using your rear seat hinges at the bottom) will make a noticeable difference.

In my case, adjusting the latch for the hatch made very little difference. She squeaks a little less, but only marginally... This could be the 20 year old rubber seals though. :shrug:

I'd like to add that you can remove your scissor jack, jack handle, and spare tire. I'd definitely empty and clean the spare tire well before covering it back up. If you insist on keeping one in there, a foam padding of some sort is a VERY good idea. Make sure it wraps somewhat around the tire, or it will just vibrate out from under it.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

If you really want to sound deaden the car I strongly suggest using something like Dynamat. This is a great way to sound deaden the car. You want to put it on the inside of your doors and cover your floor with it. This will make a world of difference. The other thing you can do is have the undercarrage recoated, and that will cut it down more as well.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You won't find much if any love for kits on here.

ALL cheap body kits will have terrible fit and finish.

Can't avoid it. they're made with cheap materials, in cheap molds. Thats why they're so cheap. Bolt holes won't line up, body seams will be uneven, doors may not close over the skirt lip..... Even if the style of the kit is O.K, the fit will make it look like crap.

But its still your car.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

solorider did a post on sound proofing using material bought from Home Depot I believe. Use the search, he did it about a year ago.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Daninski wrote:solorider did a post on sound proofing using material bought from Home Depot I believe. Use the search, he did it about a year ago.
SuperK wrote:welcome, and read this thread:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=75285

you may want to also look over and have your exhaust worked on, any holes will ruin it. stock exhaust is a must, make sure the resonator is still there. The OEM setup is quite quiet.

The stock suspension is the softest ride you'll find.

I would nag some 93 mx-3 seats, they're quite more comfortable.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
WesleyK

Post by WesleyK »

Ryan wrote:http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/search.php

go to mazda, ask them for hatch hinges for an MX3.
So these hinges are making this awful squealing sound when going over bumps? Do 1997 MX-3s have these faulty hinges too? Will check my spare wheel too, nice one!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”