KLG4 Swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Redline322

KLG4 Swap

Post by Redline322 »

Hey guys, I found a 2000 626 with only 80,000kms on it, the only problems it had were brake related(I'm guessing ABS) but it runs perfect. I can get it for a great deal and I know it's OBDII, so the question would be am I better off swapping over the whole OBDII harness since I can get the full car and take advantage of the MAF and coil pack system or just modify my ODBI k8 harness in my 93 mx3 and use a KL-02 VAF and ecu? I've done harness and engine swaps before in my old 323, so that aspect doesnt scare me, I'm just worried about the speed sensor from my 5 speed working with the auto harness and the electronics for the rest of the car, so any input would be great.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Trevor

Re: KLG4 Swap

Post by Trevor »

I would Swap engine Harness and ECU And use the coil pack setup. You'll probly get alot better Fuel economy that way
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'd do a little research regarding all the differences like, instrument clusters. I can look at both of mine as I have a 92 and 96 OBD2 MX3 cluster so if you need to change that hit me up. I think finding a standard OBD2 harness /ECU would make things a little easier. As far as I know simply installing the millenia intake and drilling for the extra coolant sensor is all you need to do to install it in your 93. Anyway 80k, nice find.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

A cheap cheap cheap megasquirt setup will be less hassle than swapping the entire harness, and you'd get even more benefits... MS will allow the use of coilpacks, I should have started with that factoid. :P
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

It wouldnt take much for me to take the whole engine harness including the fuse panels and modify it to work, it's just a matter of pinning it all right. I am familiar with megasquirt but I dont want to be tied up tuning for a while. The engine swap is just 1 project on the list along with an atx to mtx swap and finishing up body work and paint. Ideally I'd prefer to swap the engine and trans at the same time so I'd like to keep the engine swap part as simple as possible. I know that I wont have to worry about clearance with the brake fluid reservoir with the KLG4 intake and worst case if it's too much work to swap to OBDII, I'll just swap my k8 sensors in and look for a KL01 ecu to go with a vaf I picked up a while ago. I'm thinking the OBDII path might be the way to go though, so if you can check those clusters for me Dan that would be awesome and I'm going to check the differences for speed sensors and temperature sensors in the next few days.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Truth is there are so many things out there for OBDII, I would go for it. Its like I got this bluetooth OBDII reader for monitoring my 8 and now that I am back in a MX3 full time I cant use it :( it is pretty trick.

I would go for the OBDII swap if you have everything there.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

+2 obd2 is so much better then obd1. ive thought about swapping to obd2 a few times but it just doesnt make sense converting everything. however if your doing an engine swap and starting from the ground up i say go for it.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Oh man I can't believe this, your actually advising OBD2 as the way to go. When I said that 4 years ago people said I was whack. My KLZE in my 96 with stock ECU and KL02 vaf ran great. Hmm how the tide has changed. :2thumbsup:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Dan, you'll never sway me from my standalone EMS dreams! :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'd say swap the harness, go OBDII, it should be way easier than Megasquirt. It should be coil packs with a MAF on that system too, right?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

Daninski wrote:Oh man I can't believe this, your actually advising OBD2 as the way to go. When I said that 4 years ago people said I was whack. My KLZE in my 96 with stock ECU and KL02 vaf ran great. Hmm how the tide has changed. :2thumbsup:
yes, based on your build id highly suggest going obd2. if i had obd2 my over fueling issue would take a total of 5 min to find out whats causing it.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”