Alternator always dies

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
_lithium_
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Alternator always dies

Post by _lithium_ »

Well my brother had my car (1992 Mazda MX-3 GS) and replaced the alternator twice, I do run subs and an amp and the charge light flickers on and off and I'm suspecting that the alternator is about to go out again, of course I will test it prior to replacing. I was wondering if there is any reason it is dying so damn much? I was thinking maybe my amp is killing it?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Alternator always dies

Post by SuperK »

4 cyl or 6? You might want to add more grounds and clean up the ones that are there. If it's a 4 cyl, it's got a little 65 amp and you can mod the 6 cyl amp in which is... 90amp I think?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
_lithium_

Post by _lithium_ »

Yeah it's a V6, I'm gonna attempt to clean up any grounds, I think they auto place is going to be pissed seeing as this will be either the 3rd or 4th warranty on this alternator. My brother replaced it a few times when he had the car, I believe it's caused by the amp draining the s--- out of the system (can't remember what the Watt was on the amp but I think its a 700 or something). I know he never told them about the subs/amp because it would void the warranty.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

what kind of alternator are you getting and are they reman? I had a friend here go threw four I believe before I gave him one of my stock spare ones and he has not had a problem since. How are they failing, there should really be nothing with the car to kill off the alternators.
1993 White gs klze.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

plus peak wattage means crap, it's all a marketing scam. You can have a bajillion peak wattage, and i you only have 75w/channel, then guess what, you only got 75w/channel. Check the RMS specs. I would also get a farad capacitor that way the alternator doesn't get sudden wattage spikes.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
_lithium_

Post by _lithium_ »

Any suggestions on what king/size farad capacitor? I don't know too much about them and would appreciate some direction. As far as the alternator goes, I think it was reman when he bought it and I'm unsure if the ones that he swapped out under the warranty are reman or not. Is it a bad idea to open my alternator up and look inside maybe at the brushes or something? I've been thinking about also just going to the junk yard and pulling one, what types of cars would match mine?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Anything with a motor that looks like yours will bolt up, even some that don't. I put an MPV alternator on my BP once.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

If you have a 6cyl put in a millenia alternator just be sure to get the pigtails to plug it in. Its rated for 110a I believe
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Millenia alternator is not a straight swap. You have to do some wiring. There is a write up in the FAQ.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”