Help understanding CEL blink codes

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Aggrenoxx
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Help understanding CEL blink codes

Post by Aggrenoxx »

My 93 mx-3 gave out on me the other day while driving, no smoke, not hot or anything, just jerked a bit, engine revved down and it came to a slow crawl. Luckily I had enough momentum to pull it into a parking lot and have it towed. It wants to start but won't turn over. Checked fuel lines, and fuel pump works. Checked for fire in the distributor and I didn't get any shock from the spark plug wire. But I did the check engine light jumper scan and I need help figuring out what the blink codes mean. Here's the link to my vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uAIagC ... ata_player

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ryan

Re: Help understanding CEL blink codes

Post by Ryan »

8, 9, 10.

Interesting combination. Two airflow meter codes and a water thermosensor code.

Try a replacement airflow meter. Any B series engine in a scrap yard will likely use an S code. Any motor that looks like yours, that is.

But thats totally not related to it not cranking.

Define start and turn over and crank, people don't use these words the same.

Does the starter spin the motor or not?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Ryan, I noticed if the airflow meter was not working on my car it would crank but not turn over. Pretty sure if he gets a new maf/vaf it will start up
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Aggrenoxx wrote:My 93 mx-3 gave out on me the other day while driving, no smoke, not hot or anything, just jerked a bit, engine revved down and it came to a slow crawl. Luckily I had enough momentum to pull it into a parking lot and have it towed. It wants to start but won't turn over. Checked fuel lines, and fuel pump works. Checked for fire in the distributor and I didn't get any shock from the spark plug wire. But I did the check engine light jumper scan and I need help figuring out what the blink codes mean. Here's the link to my vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uAIagC ... ata_player

Any help is greatly appreciated.
First make sure there are no holes or disconnected pipes to your air flow meter... double check fuses...
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

did you try to remove the connector for the maf, if so most likely you pulled apart the internals. There are connections in there for the fuel pump as well as the ignition system. if they are broken then you will not get fuel or spark. Happened to me when I replaced my transmission. didn't pay attention to what I was doing and took two weeks to figure it out. As a short term solution I took the cover off the maf and soldered the connections back together. Since then I have replaced it.
Kakarot 135
Aggrenoxx

Post by Aggrenoxx »

The engine spins. I know because when I turn the ignition my engine shakes a bit. I also need new motor mounts. But I haven't tried taking anything apart other than removing the fuel line to the motor and disconnecting the spark plug wire from the spark plug to check to see if they were getting anything from the distributor. It might be the maf/vaf problem you're talking about but I don't even know what that is. I did some research myself and I came up with that it might be my ignition control module or coil in the distributor but I'm not sure if that would pop up in the codes. I did the jumper scan to find out what was exactly wrong that way I didn't go and buy the wrong part somewhere.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Your maf/vaf is a connector on the intake piping. It goes air filter -> maf/vaf -> throttle body. It has a rectangular plug connected to it.
Aggrenoxx

Post by Aggrenoxx »

ok, so it seems that is an easy fix/replacement, but like ryan said those cel codes shouldnt be any reason why my is cranking but not turning over. does anybody think it could be a distributor related problem like the ignition control module or coil?
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I think the maf/vaf can do that. When I broke mine I couldn't start the car... Would crank but not turn over.
Aggrenoxx

Post by Aggrenoxx »

Would it be easy to replace myself? And in my town my car isn't common at the junkyards so i'd probably have to purchase it new locally or maybe from rock auto.com unless anybody else has another suggestion

And this is my maf/vaf right.http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/f ... 182039.jpg
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Yes thats it, yes its easy to replace, and someone on here will ship you one for cheap. They're used on a good handful of common cars.

They'll be stupidly expensive new.

I have one, but I'm across the 49th.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I have one too. In Pennsylvania. Would give it to ya cheap as dirt.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”