Anyone else hate intermittent problems?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
PilotSmack89
antispam: No

Anyone else hate intermittent problems?

Post by PilotSmack89 »

I hate problems that come and go... Someone needs to invent "Gremlin B Gone". Anyways, I've got a couple ideas, but I wanted to run it by some of you guys n' gals to see if I'm even in the right ball park:

- Whining noise when in 1st or 2nd gear, when clutch is either engaged, or disengaged, only when slowing down - no noise during acceleration. No noise in neutral.
- Here's the intermittent part: Every once in a while, I'll need to pump the clutch a couple times to be able to shift into Reverse. Never happens on 1-5, all other shifting is normal. I can't seem to find a correlation to temperature, engine temp, or anything for this reverse oddity.

Last mechanic to take the car for a test ride said the clutch was slipping, but he was lying because these is no slip at all, in any gear.

I'm thinking pilot bearing or TOB... any other ideas?

Thanks everyone!
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Anyone else hate intermittent problems?

Post by Daninski »

Sometimes mine will go easily into reverse other times I have to ease it in with a little clutch. I think reverse is just like that. I don't believe in going backwards in life anyways so I don't use reverse much. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Thats not abnormal at all.

Reverse is not synchronized. If you get it exactly into reverse the first time, you're lucky.

I find holding it against the gate and geeeeennnnnnttttttllly removing clutch until it slips in. Like Dan said.

If it bugs you that much go find a F2 or G2 version of your transmission from the later model years.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Hmm... good to know! Thanks Dan & Ryan!

(You may have noticed) I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac when it comes to my MX... but at least I'm not neglecting her :)
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

The solution I use for reverse is to always, always, always the following. Clutch in > 3rd gear > neutral > clutch out > clutch in > reverse > go.

It works 100%, and I do it because I believe the 5th>reverse lockout is closer tied to the lockout itself than the fact that the gear is not synchronized. Both play a factor, but this has always worked for me, every time.

Try it guys :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

PilotSmack89 wrote:Hmm... good to know! Thanks Dan & Ryan!

(You may have noticed) I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac when it comes to my MX... but at least I'm not neglecting her :)
I know how you feel, trust me :lol: When I describe what I'm fixing in my car to people, the usual response is ".... why? :shock: It's fine!"
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Transmissions”