changed disty, lots of smoke

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Haley
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

changed disty, lots of smoke

Post by Haley »

Changed my disty, and got some new plug wires cause found two of mine screwed. So, car runs good, nice and smooth but i have quite a bit of white smoke coming from exhaust.checked the oil, it looks fine, dont smell coolant. Could this be from the car sitting for a few days? Or could it be running rich and i just need to change some settings?
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: changed disty, lots of smoke

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

If the smoke is white, it's coolant getting into the cylinder(s). That means you either dropped some coolant in the cylinder when you took the spark plugs off, or you have a head gasket problem.
Leave the engine running for a while. The smoke should dissipate. Then keep an eye on it.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:If the smoke is white, it's coolant getting into the cylinder(s). That means you either dropped some coolant in the cylinder when you took the spark plugs off, or you have a head gasket problem.
Leave the engine running for a while. The smoke should dissipate. Then keep an eye on it.
It could also just be some condensation from it sitting for a while, if the smoke goes away when it gets warm should be nothing to worry about. If it gets worse then I would lean towards a head gasket issue. But this all came about after disty change and wires? Also check the pcv valve because that is responsible for releasing crankcase gasses into your intake which can cause it to smoke those are like $6 and need to be changed every 30k or so. :welder:
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Is the oil over filled? My ex added like two liters too much and it happened to her.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Haley

Post by Haley »

The smoke is gone, think it was just from sitting, or excess fuel unburnt from trying to start it so much before changing disty.
Anyway, problem is, I changed my plugs last night and it is running lean. They are white/grey.
Im sure this is just a matter of adjusting stuff due to the new disty???
Where should I start? TPS? Or would adjusting the air screw on top help ?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Give it a week or so before you decide for sure on the color of the plugs. Whatever was sitting in the cylinders that made the white smoke is all over them right now. Let that burn off and then give it a day or two to show the true condition of the engine.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Haley

Post by Haley »

Good point, I put new plugs in last night so they are fresh and I can get a more accurate reading from them. I just dont want to drive too much if it is running lean and risk seizing up.
I'll check tonight, that will be almost 100 km on the new plugs.
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

If your plugs have a little bit of white buildup on them thats normal it is just the additives they have in the fuel that sometimes harden during combustion. Look at the porcelin after 500 miles and if it is a light brown/ caramel color your fine even if you do see some clustering of white spots and white buildup. Let your car auto learn the new conditions it is seeing to make any real adjustments.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”