HEI mod question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BornSticky

HEI mod question

Post by BornSticky »

so i have everything i need for the mod and i am adding the coil as well. So where the 12" spark plug wire connects to the top of the coil they are both female what part do i need to connect them? Another tower plug like that is connected to the disty I was kinda thinking but on gro halems write up the boot looks like it just fits over...?
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: HEI mod question

Post by Daninski »

You either use a ZE disty, add a power tower to your own disty cap or buy a cap with the power tower already installed. here's an example of the plug. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-ASY10124/
Last edited by Daninski on July 13th, 2011, 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

I have that for the disty side but on the other end of the spark plug wire it is supposed to connect to the top of the coil, and that's where I'm having the problem.
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

#5389 to join MX-3.com
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

the "Power Tower" is actually intended to be used for this purpose. It threads into the coil to allow a female wire terminal to be used.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/ ... to_09.html
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

the tower didnt quite fit right so i bought the 90 degree adapter and it clicks right into it

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

I messed this up too. I used the power tower that came with the coil and attached it to my distributor cap so I had a male end there, but the coil has a female end and I bought a cable that had 2 female ends on it. I bought an extra Power Tower and tried to plug it into the coil but the one they sell seperately doesn't work for that application. The "Power Tower" that comes with the coil needs to go on top of the coil and use the extra Power Tower to modify the disty cap.

The Wrong Way:
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

In my set up I used a msd blaster 3 coil which comes manufactured with a power tower on top and even puts out like 5k more volts.

heres a link http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8223/
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

I didn't use a power tower at all on mine, I just used the end piece of a spark plug (was an autolite) that unthreaded and a small tiny bolt through the cap then into the end of the spak plug piece. The blaster coil without the power tower was all I could find at auto parts stores around me... Its a way cleaner look too than a huge red thing.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold