brake fluid type?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Haley
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

brake fluid type?

Post by Haley »

Ok, this car spends more time on the jack than on the road!
Now I noticed my brakes were almost going to the floor. Check my fluid...almost empty. Look under the car....leak!!
So, anyway, I notice on the cap it says dot 3 fluid. If I remember correctly, you can mix dot 3 and 4, right? So I could safely use dot 4?
My next question is this:
If I just fill the fluid up, do I have to bleed them right away or will I be ok to drive home from work and do it later?
Haley
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: brake fluid type?

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

You can use DOT 3 or DOT 4, no problem. You can NOT use DOT 5.

The main difference between DOT 3 and 4 is that DOT 4 has a higher boiling point. Other than that, they're about the same.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If it's almost empty there's a decet chance that there is some air in the lines. You'll need to bleed them to be sure and it's a good idea to do anyway.

Speed bleeders are an awesome investment btw. I got some recently and it makes bleeding so easy. They are made by Russell and usually available at your local speed shop. Just find out where the hotrod muscle car guys go to get their cool stuff and call them. Part number guide below. Worth the $35 or so I paid for mine.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/speed/import.shtml
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

a lot of the fluid is synthetic nowadays and is compatiblile with dot 3,4 and 5.1 which is different then the silcone based dot 5. Its a good idea to go ahead and flush every 2-3 years. I do it every year since I track my car I use the Ate super blue race fluid can be had for $15 and 1 quart will take care of your whole car and remember to bleed the clutch slave cylinder line since it is linked from the master cylinder.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

wytbishop wrote:If it's almost empty there's a decet chance that there is some air in the lines. You'll need to bleed them to be sure and it's a good idea to do anyway.

Speed bleeders are an awesome investment btw. I got some recently and it makes bleeding so easy. They are made by Russell and usually available at your local speed shop. Just find out where the hotrod muscle car guys go to get their cool stuff and call them. Part number guide below. Worth the $35 or so I paid for mine.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/speed/import.shtml
those are awesome!
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

not available for drum brakes on the mx3, guess I need to do the rear disc swap....
Kakarot 135

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”