1994 MX-3 Problems

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Bengal_Brad
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

1994 MX-3 Problems

Post by Bengal_Brad »

Hi, I'm new the this board and I feel very lucky to have found it. I have a 1994 MX-3 that I've had for a couple of years and I LOVE this car.

I am having problems right now with the ATX, at least I believe it it the ATX. I have not driven the car but for a couple of times in the past year due to being unemployed and no income to get my tags renewed. Anyhow I went to drive it the other day and it would not start in "park", but would start in "Neutral". Also it the RPM go high before it automatically shifts in from 1st to 2nd. I have no changed any fluids since I have had the car and I have not given it a tune-up.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem. I don't know a whole lot about cars and like I said I have gone through a rough time with employment late (working pt now), so I don't have a whole lot of money for fixes. I love this car so much and it's so much fun that even if the fix would be pricey, I could let it sit and save the money.

Thanks in advance!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: 1994 MX-3 Problems

Post by Daninski »

Hi Brad welcome to the site. Why not start by telling us where your from. Someone here might live close to you.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Bengal_Brad
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Bengal_Brad »

I'm in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, just south of Milwaukee.
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

Here's a thought...could be the shift linkage out of adjustment. If it is, and it's not being engaged fully in park, then it wouldnt start. When you say the RPM's go high before shifting, do you mean when you move the selector to drive, it rev's high and then clunks into gear...cuz if so, then that could also point to linkage issues...but if you're meaning that as you drive it, it revs pretty high before finally shifting into the next gear, then that could point to a number of issues. Easiest fix would be a direct swap for a used ATX...a step up would be converting it over to manual...search around this forum, as there are many posts on ATX issues, and I havent F*cked with those in a few years. Good luck, and welcome to the site.....
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
mxmikey
antispam: No

Post by mxmikey »

There is a product available called Trans-x that makes your automatic transmission fluid thicker, and adds life to it. That could potentially cause the high rev, or if you were low on fluid it could cause that. It could be a ton of things but fluid is the easiest to check and fix.
93 GS/SE

Return to “Transmissions”