92' MX3 GS. I have a wierd clunking/knocking noise..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
skatecboy45
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

92' MX3 GS. I have a wierd clunking/knocking noise..

Post by skatecboy45 »

So when Im driving at normal and highway speeds, my car has a clunking/knocking type noise when my wheel is slightly to the right, but it goes away if I turn the wheel farther right. I don't know what it is, I am suspecting CV axle but Im not sure... It is kinda prevalent when I am going straight, but gets way louder if the wheel is at a slight right. Like changing lanes or taking small curves, or slight lane adjustments. Please help. I don't want my wheel to fly off and kill me or something lol.
davmac

Re: 92' MX3 GS. I have a wierd clunking/knocking noise..

Post by davmac »

No laughing matter. If something is loose in the front suspension it could be trouble. Remove both front tires and lift the front end off the ground and grab and shake everything trying to find something loose or make the sound you're hearing. If you aren't confident to do this get it to a shop for them to tell you what is wrong. Don't wait for your wheel to pass you around a turn - that will cost lots more then a potential repair.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Could be a CV or a wheel bearing.

if you search here or even on Google you'll see how to check all of the components using just a jack and your hands.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
skatecboy45

Post by skatecboy45 »

I am going to put it up on jacks in a few days and check it out. I am almost positive its my CV joints. My mechanic friend listened to it and said CV joints almost immediately. So I'm going to look and check it out, if one of them is going bad, Im just going to buy two and replace them both.
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

I have the same thing on my front right wheel, does it matter how hard you push it? If i'm trying to accelerate fast it knocks, but slowly its not nearly as bad? If i turn Right at all it knocks pretty bad, Kind of feels like those rumble strips at stop signs when it does it? Sound familiar?

I'm only asking because we might have the same problem.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

skatecboy45 wrote:So when Im driving at normal and highway speeds, my car has a clunking/knocking type noise when my wheel is slightly to the right, but it goes away if I turn the wheel farther right. I don't know what it is, I am suspecting CV axle but Im not sure... It is kinda prevalent when I am going straight, but gets way louder if the wheel is at a slight right. Like changing lanes or taking small curves, or slight lane adjustments. Please help. I don't want my wheel to fly off and kill me or something lol.
CV's normally act up more during cornering/turns.

Dragon1212 best to start your own post. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

Daninski wrote:
skatecboy45 wrote:So when Im driving at normal and highway speeds, my car has a clunking/knocking type noise when my wheel is slightly to the right, but it goes away if I turn the wheel farther right. I don't know what it is, I am suspecting CV axle but Im not sure... It is kinda prevalent when I am going straight, but gets way louder if the wheel is at a slight right. Like changing lanes or taking small curves, or slight lane adjustments. Please help. I don't want my wheel to fly off and kill me or something lol.
CV's normally act up more during cornering/turns.

Dragon1212 best to start your own post. :)
I did... i don't have good quality recording equipment so you weren't able to hear it.
wtf? i can't find it... maybe it was in my worklog... But anyway

Oh and mine does act up more on corners and turns. gonna disassemble that side of the car, Check all the boots on the Driveshaft? (guess of name) my friend vlad (auto wrecker / mechanic) says washed out grease could cause it over time, and a balled up lump of it on the shaft would throw it off balance and produce knocking, I am going to check mine.
Does it get worse if its warmer outside than if its colder?

If its the same thing then if one of us finds an answer then we can help the other.
Lets diagnose it to death!
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Dragon1212: 99% sure your problem is a CV axle.

Back to the original post, it does sound more like a wheel bearing IMO moreso than a CV but it could be, as Ryan mentioned.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
skatecboy45

Post by skatecboy45 »

Thanks for all the responses. I have, since the original posting, replaced both CV axles. The noise stopped but I now have a new noise to worry about. It sounds like its coming from the front left side of my car. Its an annoying metal on metal scratch/screetching noise. I thought maybe the dust shield was rubbing on my brake rotor but I took the wheel off and checked that and it doesnt seem to be the problem... Its more prominent when I am between 5 and 35 mph, especially when I have the wheel slightly to the right.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

skatecboy45 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I have, since the original posting, replaced both CV axles. The noise stopped but I now have a new noise to worry about. It sounds like its coming from the front left side of my car. Its an annoying metal on metal scratch/screetching noise. I thought maybe the dust shield was rubbing on my brake rotor but I took the wheel off and checked that and it doesnt seem to be the problem... Its more prominent when I am between 5 and 35 mph, especially when I have the wheel slightly to the right.
Did you do a brake job when you swapped the axles? I know those useless clips on our forward calipers are a complete joke. They like to pop off and lightly scrape the rotor, just enough to turn heads, but not enough to cause harm. If you didn't recently touch those, I'd check them anyways. Beyond that, make sure your calipers are properly releasing the rotor.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”