will a 96 probe oil pan fit? into a v6 1.8 1996 gs

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Whokid
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

will a 96 probe oil pan fit? into a v6 1.8 1996 gs

Post by Whokid »

So my oil pan is now leaking and i called up mazda and they want $195, Partsource in canada wants only $99. The problem is they dont have a mx3 version but they do have a 96 for probe v6 one. Will that fit my car? Its either that or I go to the wreckers and pay$75 for used and said there will be rust on it. Need help on the probe oil pan
solo_ryder

Re: will a 96 probe oil pan fit? into a v6 1.8 1996 gs

Post by solo_ryder »

Yes.

But if its leaking its not the pan.. It would be the seal around the pan holding it to the block, it would just require a re-seal. Unless you have a hole in your pan... In which case you could get it welded.

P.s. delete your other posting, its not a electrical question. derp
Whokid

Post by Whokid »

yeah ty there is a hole in it and sorry for the other post

what specs do the probe have to be. like could i use any model mx3 like say a 1992 4 cyl ( as you know i have a v6 gs 1996)
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Whokid wrote:yeah ty there is a hole in it and sorry for the other post

what specs do the probe have to be. like could i use any model mx3 like say a 1992 4 cyl ( as you know i have a v6 gs 1996)
That was a smart thing to say.

If there is a hole take it off and get it welded. Would be way cheaper. Unless its a huge hole, then you should sock yourself in the dome.

Otherwise, you need to use a V6 pan from a 93-97 ford probe, mx6 or mazda 626. 4 cylinder wont work derp.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hit up a JY and drop a K series pan(V6 MX-3, MX-6, 626, Probe GT, Millenia 2.5). Shouldn't cost you much if your yard is reasonable, and they drain the oil for you already (If they care about the environment...)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Yep. A quick look at Rockauto shows these cars have the same oil pan:

FORD PROBE GT . . . . . . (1993 - 1997)
MAZDA 626 . . . . . . . . . (1999 - 2001)
MAZDA 626 ES . . . . . . . (1993 - 2002)
MAZDA 626 LX . . . . . . . (1994 - 2002)
MAZDA MILLENIA . . . . . (1995 - 2002)
MAZDA MILLENIA L . . . . 1996
MAZDA MX-3 . . . . . . . . . (1992 - 1993)
MAZDA MX-3 GS . . . . . . (1992 - 1994)
MAZDA MX-3 PRECEDIA . 1995
MAZDA MX-6 LS . . . . . . (1993 - 1997)

Although I'm not sure what they mean by "mx-3 1992-1993"...

By the way, I'm not sure what the shipping would be, but Rockauto has the pan for $56.79. :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The block is the same so the flange will bolt up for sure on any of those, but the different cars have different cross members so the shape of the pan might be different. Rockauto would not reflect that. The aftermarket maker of that part would make one based on the Probe most likely and sell it to everyone in the K family. Just be aware that there may be minor interferences with the exhaust and the crossmembers if you use one from another car.

Might need a bit of hammering is all.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Whokid

Post by Whokid »

So I found one for my make a model to make sure it works and that its fits. Will I have to remove the exhaust to do so? Cause a Shop told me it would be $80 an hr and would take 2.5hr I cant afford to do so. I seen what im working with it. I can see the exhaust right underneath it. But almost looks like i can take it out. Anyone done this
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Has anyone done this....

and we're telling you what fits, what is to make sure? If you came here for an answer and then ignore it, why did you come at all?

You may or may not have to drop the exhaust, I've never tried it without dropping the exhaust though. I'd vote yes.

2.5H is ridiculous though. I can drop an engine in 2.5H, but thats a shop for ya.

If you can't/don't want to do it on your own, then you're going to have to get screwed by the shop, but this is not a difficult repair, I'd rate it like 4/10 difficulty.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Dropping the exhaust takes like 5 minutes. The studs Mazda uses are nice and the nuts come off fairly easy. Once undone just make sure the O2 sensor wires don't get pulled when the exhaust pipe is lowered. For the life of me I can't remember if you have to drop the cross member as well. Take your car to an exhaust shop if you can't do the job yourself, they should be more reasonably priced.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Whokid

Post by Whokid »

Well I like to make sure and ask if anyone has done this cause. Its a lot easier knowing before you get your self into something your not use to and not done. As in help on what they might have done wrong. I was scared cause someone said I might have to re-position the exhaust thats all. Like and I am going to do it my self its just winter here so I got to pick my days. I know mechanics like to rip you off and I what not. Ive asked alot of basic stuff from this forum and have had excellent success,and sorry if it seems disrespectful on how I ask my questions.

Also I just got and oil change and thats how i figured out what was wrong with it. I got filled up for free again and now have a oil catcher underneath my car right as we speak. Am i able to use that brand new oil again? To put in? Or will dirt and grim get in the oil and make it bad to use.
Whokid

Post by Whokid »

Dropping the exhaust takes like 5 minutes. The studs Mazda uses are nice and the nuts come off fairly easy. Once undone just make sure the O2 sensor wires don't get pulled when the exhaust pipe is lowered. For the life of me I can't remember if you have to drop the cross member as well. Take your car to an exhaust shop if you can't do the job yourself, they should be more reasonably priced.
So i think I can handle it but when you mean take it to an exhaust shop are you implying that they will install my Oil Pan?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”