auto gs/rs shift assembly compatibility

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
stepchyld

auto gs/rs shift assembly compatibility

Post by stepchyld »

I recently added a 95 rs to my little group of mx3's. Just over 100k on the clock, runs and drives, but in need of some tlc. One issue I noticed, and am hoping had nothing to do with it breaking down on the previous driver, is the Hold light sometimes turns on without messing with the Hold Button. The Hold Button is partly missing as well. Instead of the full button, there's just the post the button connects to, like the outer shell or cover of the button is missing. With some prodding, the button will release and light will go out.

I still have the shift assembly from my gs atx-mtx swap and am wondering if it would work in the 95.

They appear to be identical, though admit I haven't pulled the 95's shifter to compare the underside.

Has anyone swapped out an auto shift assembly like this?
If so, was it a direct fit and function, or was extra customizing required?
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
Newfie_dan

Re: auto gs/rs shift assembly compatibility

Post by Newfie_dan »

if you are having the hold light come on the very first thing I would do it check and replace the atf and filter as this can correct many issues with the automatics, in addition see if it will start in any gear other than P or N, if it does then the transmission range switch/neutral safety switch is malfunctioning.
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

It doesn't come on when driving, so far. Haven't insured the car yet, so it hasn't been far on its test runs.
I think the switch itself is malfunctioning. Evidence is the button ibeing broke. I'd consider that solid evidence.
Changing filter and atf is one of the priority to-do's for the car. Would add an auxiliary cooler but someone has already done that.

Thanks for the tip on starting the car to test the other switches. I will test it next time I'm out to work oin it.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Figured I should post the outcome, should anybody have a similar question.
After my earlier post on this thread, I didn't get to mess with the car for a long time, except to start it up and let it run for a while, to keep fluids circulating...

The HOLD light began staying on all the time, no amount of fiddling with the broken button would turn it off.
I finally compared the 93 gs shifter assembly to the one in the 95 rs, and felt like an idiot! Different dash: different shifter housing... so, no direct swap would be possible. Customizing would be necessary for that.
The shaft, wiring, and buttons on the shifter itself were identical. So, I swapped the shifter's 'handle' or 'grip' (the part you hold when shifting the tranny) and the wiring for the HOLD button. I couldn't quite figure out how to safely pull the HOLD button assembly out of the 'grip', so I removed the terminals from the harness connector and swapped the wire and 'grip' from the 93 gs shifter to the 95 rs shifter.

It worked! Shifter still functions, and HOLD light is on only when HOLD button is pushed.

If anyone needs a write-up of the process, I'll type it all out...

Return to “Transmissions”