KLZE or KLDE or Hybrid?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jforce
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

KLZE or KLDE or Hybrid?

Post by Jforce »

so i've bought a new engine for my mx-3.

its an kl-101 & kl-1a1 and a millenia intake manifold, so at first i figured KLDE and ZE manifold.

however the guy swapping (which wasn't the same than the guy who sold it, so he had no reason to lie ) it for me said it was faster, than his true KLZE above 70mph (KL31-1a1, ZE pistons, ZE manifold) and only a little slower in 0-60mph.

so i did some research, and found some comments by solo-ryder and unknown:
solo_ryder wrote:
Whats the block code number on the motor? Look on the back PS of the motor above the powersteering pump. If its over 500,000 or 600,000 then its probably just one of them newer ZE's from a millenia with 9.5:1 compression. I had that motor in my last ZE and it was tough as nails and was very quick. I ran a KL01 ecu and KL02 VAF on it. You should run that combo as well or you can run a kl31/kl36 ecu as that is what is used for the straight neck mani and a JE50 VAF and that should work nicely even with your KL01 cams and KL01 heads.
Actually it is a ZE, not all ZE's had kl31 heads, the newer millenia engine has a newer designed kl101 head that has bigger valves, it flows just as good or better then the kl31 heads. You also need not worry about the valves dropping on this motor. Expect to see this motor coming up more often as the older klze's are being sold off.
its a newer millenia, it has 9.5:1 compression (for emissions reasons in the later years) It should also have square ported heads like mine. It also has a redesigne camshaft friction gear so it should run quieter. It should be about 180-190 hp. Its a good motor for some NA or boost. I like mine
so i went and checked the block code: KL 638025

so is this the millenia engine with 9.5:1 compression?

but more importantly, what do 9,5:1 pistons look like? (or is the compression affected by something else?)
I know the difference between ZE and DE pistons ( but find it rather hard to see through the sparkplughole :P )

ty
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: KLZE or KLDE or Hybrid?

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Honestly, I've yet to see any "hard evidence" so to speak that such an engine exists. How was this guy you speak of able to come to the conclusion that your DE is faster than his ZE? You're right to assume that it's a DE, maybe even from a Millenia itself given the intake manifold.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Jforce
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KLZE or KLDE or Hybrid?

Post by Jforce »

he came to the conclusion, by comparing it to his own klze. (which he is sure of that it is an true ZE)

this comparison was done on feeling, not timed or anything.

he said it pulled harder than his at higher speeds.

i do 75mph-100mph(120-160Km/h) in about 6,5 seconds

but i'm running the "wrong" ecu, i use an kl31 ecu on an curved neck. vris boost are very noticeable, but pretty late (cause of kl31 ecu) ow and an mx-6 gearbox.

ow and another comment, talking about this combination:
Don't worry, you probably got one of the newer klze's. I had a customer with exactly the same engine kl101 and kl1a1 heads, D-shape intake and square for the intake manifold. He had it on a dyno and pulled 201hp (175whp).

Bastian
and this is the guy (bastian) who also originally imported this (the one i have atm) engine from japan, first it went to another guy from our club, and now to me.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”