Can you guys help?.....please!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
calgaryboy1000
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Can you guys help?.....please!

Post by calgaryboy1000 »

1994, mx-3, 1.6 DOHC, atx. Idle issue, have no codes. Did wires, plugs, cap, cleaned butterfly, adjusted tps, cleaned air flo senser elements (had code 8 and 10 now gone). did air filter, fuel filter, checked timing. Did pcv, checked for leaks with carb clean. cleaned battery tetminals
Symptoms.....driving up to lights, hit breaks and come to complete stop...idles nice (around 900) then two or three seconds later idle drops suddenly ( to 7-750) and gets choppy.
:?: with no codes, what would it be? The infamous cracks in the flex part of the intake hose. :?: would that cause the exact symptom?
Has new alt, timing belt and water pump....
:?: would that exact symptom be caused by body grounds, or by air line to booster? i don't want to put any more money into this thing.
:?: transaxle shifts hard when you put it into reverse or drive...could the mounts be bad? some one said there was a tsb about it but I couldnt find it. Somtimes it shifts hard when driving, 1st 2nd shift mostly (under medium acc) Did service (fluid and filter) made gauge and checked line pressure...was low, about 65. Brought it back up to 74psi but just shifts harder. No codes there either.
This is my first post so please be nice, lol. I have spent like 10 hours on here so far. Thanks for all the good info.
Last edited by calgaryboy1000 on October 22nd, 2010, 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: idle problems, tranny issues...any advice

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

great first post.

I know there are "issues" with the auto tranny.. I hope you don't need a new one. Most of the tranny issues I've read about, would be high rpms while driving then lossing a gear.

Grounds can cause some crazy issues as well as the cracked intake. I would order the prelude kit off ebay for cheap to get rid of the stocker.

You may have a clogged injector too.

I'm not a fan of injector cleaner, but might be worth a try.

Welcome.

I'm in Calgary as well. Evanston waay up NW.
calgaryboy1000

Post by calgaryboy1000 »

Thanks Obd canoby, lol. was just at pick and pull, they just got another mx-3 in its the same as mine but no air bags. Has a manual in it.... Wonder if i should swap it :?: Would it be worth it :?:
Took the air flow sensor and egr off, the intake flex line had the cracks in it. I will go back tomorrow to grab the injectors. Tranny seems to shift better now... I reset the ecu and did the same thing with the Tat/Grd was hoping that would reset the transaxle :?:
If any one wants to know how I made the the gauge I could put up some pics (its pretty awsome) cost about 25 bucks. I think the Taxle had an air lock in it, said it was overfull but after I drove it a while it was low so I toped her up again and it seems alot better (still tired though)
Will tape up the intake tube tonight, and throw on the other sensor I grabed just for s**** and giggles. Guess I will go throught the grounds too. I paid $150 for this car and have about $350 into it now.
calgaryboy1000

Post by calgaryboy1000 »

Tried the new air flo sensor and made sure the intake tube had no leaks...same issues, I'm getting choked at this car.....can any one help?
calgaryboy1000

Re: Can you guys help?.....please!

Post by calgaryboy1000 »

I guess you guys are sick of guys like me trying to get advice....Took the car out on highway today....It seems to me it should have more power...I had a geo metro that could beat it. It takes for ever for the thing to get up to 140. It seems that it won't go faster than that with out dropping down a gear. How fast should these cars go :?: I am used to fast cars, last car was a c230 kompressor, before that was a 98 prelude. Even my 93 dodge diesel does 0-60 in like 8 seconds.

Could it be a clogged CAT :?:

Car has 230k, and am sure, has original exaust. Tail pipe has alot of carbon build up. Spark seems strong, air in should be good, no codes. Maybe weak fuel :?: lol...I'm guessing I'm just posting to my self again...it's like my journal. So you know my dodge tranny went and I don't have money to fix it now. Thought it would be cheaper to buy a car and run it for the winter.

Oh ya...car got like 140k on 3/4 of a tank of fuel...this normal :?:

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”