tips on removing a knock sensor on a V6

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeetown
antispam: No

tips on removing a knock sensor on a V6

Post by mikeetown »

this little guy, under the intake, under the large coolant line, between cylinders 3 & 4(v6 drrrrrrrrr!! just incase), under a steel plate that is nearly impossible to get off, is very hard to get at.

I'm having trouble getting the plate off in the centre which sounds stupid so if you have no idea, try it sometime lol k. The hole in the centre is too narrow for a 15/16" wrench, but not for a socket. What do people here think about cutting the knock wire, throwing a socked down the middle, screwing it off, then reconnecting the wires after.

When i put the new one in, i'd have to cut the wires to get the socket through again so i'm just wondering what you all think

Or, is there an alternative tool or something???
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: tips on removing a knock sensor on a V6

Post by Ryan »

Mazda uses this tool:

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... F2-157.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a socket with a slit clut in it.

You can either cut the wire, and solder/shrink wrap/ tape it after, or modify your socket, or borrow the socket...

hehe. slit clut.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
davmac

Post by davmac »

^haha
Your new knock sensor will come with a connector so no problem cutting the wire on the old one. I think this is a single shielded wire that's not so easy to cut an splice. O2 sensor sockets are 7/8" and already modified with the slit - don't know if that will work on the knock sensor. A crows foot socket should work for the install - or like Ryan suggested you can spend some time making your own special tool with a deep socket and grinder.

edit: Oops I see you can't get the plate out of the way. Crap - you gotta get that useless piece out of the way. Otherwise I guess you'll be fabricating your own tool. Good luck.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

there are o2 sensor crowsfoots as well with the notch cut to fit the wire through they are kinda like a line wrench but a crowsfoot, there are something like 4 different common sized 02 sockets are well.
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

yeah, removing the knock sensor is easy, just cut the wire. O2 sensor sockets dont work the knock sensor is actually at 23 or 24 mill which is bigger that the 7/8th sockets. Putting the new one in sucks. you have to get that plate out of there, and even then theres not much room to work a wrench. I used a wrench, put locktight on the threads, and tightend it down best I could, seems pretty tight but no way to know what it was torqued to and its not as tight as I'd like since the angle of the wrench makes it slip too easy at a certain point. If I were more patient, and what I recommend, is getting the right metric socket and cutting or having a machine shop cut a slot in it for the wire then use that.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

That plate is a right bastard. I tore mine out. Had to cut it in the center and bend it with a hammer to get it out. Couldn't think of any other way to do it save for taking the heads off, which is ridiculous. I don't have it anymore, and I don't care. Don't really see much reason for it.

Knock sensor is also rough to put in. Removing the old one is simple, just snip the wire and socket it out. New one was a tight squeeze with a wrench and I don't know if I torqued it to spec or not, but so far it hasn't come out.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”