92 V6 Starting problem!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

92 V6 Starting problem!!!

Post by kulluminati777 »

well so far it is not that big of a deal because the car still starts. but while im starting it i hear a horrible clicking/grinding noise. i know its not an HLA problem because i know the sound of that tick its only when the starter is try to turn the engine do i hear it.i have a 92 with an 94 engine 1.8 v6 if that helps any diagnose problems.like i said right now the car starts up just fine its just that noise makes my mazdaspeed beauty sound like sh** on start up...any suggestions on what i have to do to make it all better lol
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Kuro Di Genius

Re: 92 V6 Starting problem!!!

Post by Kuro Di Genius »

Is it a manual or automatic? Either way it's either the starter it self messing up by not properly engaging the flywheel, or it's the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate that are messed up. If it started happening only after you worked on it, then it could be just the way you placed it (the starter that is). Make sure there are no differences in the starters between the years by checking a parts store or ebay, and hope it's just the starter and not the flywheel/flexplate.
DiGenius (Engine swapped 1993 mx3, rebuilt 94 BP (arp headstuds, metal headgasket, bpt oil pump), stage 3 F1Racing clutch good for 250whp. 125hp-118tq @ flywheel)
Ryan

Re: 92 V6 Starting problem!!!

Post by Ryan »

Just pop off the starter and check to make sure the teeth are all alright.

Get someone to crank it a tiny bit and make sure the solenoid is pushing the gear out. Remember to hold it against the trans or there won't be a complete circuit, and it will do nothing.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”