clunking in rear end?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

clunking in rear end?

Post by mikeinaus »

i have a weird clunking noise on my rear drivers side wheel. it happens when i go over bumps and when i go in reverse to park. i just replaced my end link on that side and it didnt seem to help much. i didnt notice anything loose when i had the wheel off either. anyone have any ideas on what i should have a look for? it started maybe a week ago and its getting pretty bad fast. strut/spring seem to be working fine, i dont know about the strut bearing but i wouldnt expect that to make noise when i reverse...
-eunos-
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: clunking in rear end?

Post by -eunos- »

I had the same thing on the rear right, ended up being the wheel bearing..

jack up the rear, and hold the wheel in both hands.

pull and push backwards and fowards <-- --> on the outside of the wheel to feel if there is any play... sorry, its hard to describe what to do in txt...
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Struts are harder to diagnose. If you press your body weight on that corner, and suddenly let it off, the car should raise... this is the hard part, it should be smooth, make a certain sound, and not bounce at ALL. If its a very heavy sounding noise, its likely a strut.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

wheel bearing was replaced maybe 6 months ago and the wheel spins freely without any noises so im thinking it might be something different. as for the strut. if i bounce the car up and down on that corner then suddenly stop the car levels out and stops bouncing almost instantly, it also doesnt make any noises when i do that so i think the strut is in decent shape. the noise sounds almost exactly what my front sounded like when my ball joints, end links and control arms were bad thats why i figured it was the links. it sounds like a metal hitting metal noise when going over bumps or going in reverse (even when going slowly).

ill try and capture it on video and see if anyone has any ideas.
progt91

Post by progt91 »

check for wear at the sway bar bushings themselves. they are cheap and if they have a little play you will have clunking noises
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i actually have a set of the urethane universal suspension bushings i havnt gotten around to installing yet so hopefully thats it.

i just got a video of the noise. when reversing it sounds like something is dangling and banging on the side of the car.
video can be seen here http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/ab34 ... V01645.mp4
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

From what it sounds like I had a similar sound to mine luckly my sound went away I think mine was something very simple and I hope so is yours as the sounds seem almost the same try to check your brakes or pads at the back they could be moving as the clips are missing ... it could also be the heat shield hitting some part in the rear have someone drive the car and keep your ear close to see and try to have an idea of where exactly it's coming from... could be something else like you're saying a linkage or something else but for me I had something like this and it was just my pads at the rear with no clips my buddy had a sound like that too as well but he has a prelude and it ended up being his spindle so I would say check parts towards the bottom keep an ear close because there is nothing really on top besides your mounts and the top portion of your strut that could be playing around otherwise it has to be coming from downstairs good luck.. :)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”