93 mx3 1.8L

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Weistal67
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

93 mx3 1.8L

Post by Weistal67 »

Hey everyone. My name is Aaron and I was just given a 93 mx3 with the 1.8L v6 by a friend. I have driven the car briefly in the past when he first got the car and it has no clutch(which I will explain in a moment). My friend got the car before I taught him to drive manual so I drove it home for him. It has since sat for about 5 months with us going out and starting it and letting it run for a while every few weeks. Anyways back to the clutch.

The pedal goes to the floor with little to no resistance however it doesn't stay down. As near as I can tell there is nothing happening except the actual movement of the pedal itself. Witch leads me to believe that 1)there is a broken/burst line on the clutch hydraulic system or 2)either the master or slave cylinders have a blown seal. The issue is that the brakes seemed unaffected when I drove it initially and I know the two systems draw from the same reservoir. He picked up a clutch kit for it when he got the car after having been told that was the issue by the previous owner but hasn't had the time to do anything with it.

So what I'm looking for is input from the community on this. What was your experience? What do you believe my problem is? Any question about information I might have missed?

Aaron
Weistal67

Re: 93 mx3 1.8L

Post by Weistal67 »

Should have added that the clutch reportedly went all at once for the previous owner. There one shift gone the next.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

how did you drive it home with no clutch? have you traced the clutch line to see if its leaking? try bleeding it? maybe a new slave cylinder? if you look on the front of the tranny its pretty easy to see the slave cylinder. check to see if its trying to move at all when someone is pressing the pedal. from there you can trace the line to the resevior and see if theres any leaks, or if theres any brake fluid left in the system. the hose that connects to the slave is metal and is prone to rusting out so id bet you have a leak somewhere, or your slave is toast. if a seal was broken or there is a leak in one of the lines id bet theres no fluid left in the resevior and your brake light would be on.

if it went all at once like the guy says the line probably burst somewhere, probably where it connects to the slave cylinder...

p.s. welcome to the forums and good luck with the car.
Weistal67

Post by Weistal67 »

Thanks mikeinaus.I got it started in first and was careful so I didn't need to stop on the way at lights. Just matched rpm on the way home. All of this is theory atm. I won't have a chance to look at the car until Tuesday likely. Right now I'm just looking to poll everyone and narrow down what to look for.
Weistal67

Post by Weistal67 »

So I finally got a day off to look at the mx3 and can't find any leaks. The clutch hydraulic system seems solid. Getting about 1.5 inches travel at the slave cylinder however the slave is pretty much bottomed out when the clutch pedal isn't pushed in. Any suggestions/ideas of what next? Probably won't have the days off until next week to do anything though.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

so the slave cylinder moves when you push the clutch? is there much resisitance on the clutch pedal thing on the tranny that the slave cylinder pushes? if the slave is working properly and theres no resisitance theres probably an internal problem with the clutch.

hopefully someone else will be more help to you.
Weistal67

Post by Weistal67 »

Yes the slave cylinder moves the fork with considerable force so I'm thinking internal now. I am however a noob to repairing clutches so any help as to what specifically to look for would be awesome.
Last edited by Weistal67 on August 5th, 2010, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

clutch is probably just dead then. its quite a bit of work to swap it out. pretty much have to pull the motor/transmission, regrind the flywheel, install new clutch and put back together. if you know what your doing you could probably do it in a day or 2, if your a noob like i was it will probably take you 3-5 days.

if you read over some of the guides on motor swaps it could give you an idea of what to do the procedure is the exact same.

it would be a great time to swap a klde (mx6, probe gt, 625, millenia) motor in. you can probably find a used one for cheap and there prettymuch a direct swap.
Weistal67

Post by Weistal67 »

Been thinking about the klde swap anyways. I'll do some more reading up on it.
Weistal67

Post by Weistal67 »

My guess so far is that either the fork broke or the point at which it pivots is broken. How common is this? Has anyone had this happen? Note the car has over 292xxx km on it.
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

my 93 GS has 272,XXX and the tranny feels fine/strong. It better be if its gonna hold up against my KLZE which is going in next friday.
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
Weistal67

Post by Weistal67 »

So I figured i'd update this. I got my transmission off last week with the help of a mechanic buddy and his engine hoist and the tranny side of the clutch is nonexistent. Everything else seems good so the plan is to replace with the oem kit I already have and drive as is until I get a kl rebuilt. Hope to be on the road by Friday.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”