Lights dimming

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
anjin1982

Lights dimming

Post by anjin1982 »

Wasn't sure what to name this topic given the problems im having...so im getting ready to trouble shoot and here's my problem(s)...Please guide me the right way

Ok so SOMETIMES when i press on the brake, my lights dim all around my car including the headlights...not every-time i brake but sometimes, Other times it enough to turn my radio off then back on for that quick second. When the brake is pressed it dimmes everything but even when holding the pedal down everything comes right back and the lights lose their dim. It can go days before doing it again and even when it does its not always every "pedal Press" now today i think i hear a faint electrical hum from my speakers but not quite sure. I bought a analog meter cause my digital cant read the quick voltage drop...(happens regardless of what's on electrical in the car)

So im planning on taking the analog to the battery and checking for voltage drop there then disconnecting the terminals when the car is running and checking it at the terminals again for voltage drop. With and without voltage load...is this right and/or any other steps i should take?

P.S - There have been nothing added to the car in years ie...radio or amps etc,etc,
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Lights dimming

Post by Daninski »

Intermittent short.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

After alil fuse pulling to help narrow down it seems to be connected to the "stop" fuse...when its in the lights dim for a sec but when the fuse out the lights remain fine...could it be a short off there Daninski?...or maybe to much of a load for the alternator meaning a new alt is needed?...the "stop"fuse im guessing is the brake lights right?...and the "tail" is parking lights?
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

There are quite a few things that could be causing problems like you described. I'm currently having similar issues to what you described.
It could be a weak battery, an extreme winter or heat could cause that. Though a weak battery would also cause hard starting (not a symptom you described), so it's not likely.
The stock alternators in our cars (and most replacements) were made by Mitsubishi. The voltage regulators on these things go out pretty quick with bad voltage. I've replaced my alternators 5x in 2 years. Recently I took my car in to have the alternator tested, and with nothing running (stereo, lights, etc.) when they put a load on... my car loses 4-600 rpm. And my lights dim, stereo flickers, etc. (my issue is a bearing going out)
Could also be a frayed wire causing a short (previous mx-3 had this). It was blowing fuses when I hit the brakes. I tracked it down to a wire with bad insulation near my trunk latch.
Could be a partially blown fuse, or a partially blown too big fuse.

Just throwing a few suggestions out there...
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”