Intermediate shaft

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
mazdags94

Intermediate shaft

Post by mazdags94 »

Does anyone happen to know if the 93 Probe GT uses a 3 bolt intermediate shaft? The two bolt from an mx3 doesn't line up properly, leading to think I need a 3-bolt one. If so, will any KL 3-bolt shaft work?

Thanks in advance.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Intermediate shaft

Post by Daninski »

I thought you just had to drill out the two bolt to make it a three bolt. The spot to drill is already marked isn't it? Use your three bolt as a template if you have two. Apply wide masking tape to the three bolt, mark the holes then transfer it over to the two bolt and drill. I know Intermediate shafts in good shape are hard to find. I found my spare sitting in the trunk of a Probe,,just sitting there.

Oh ya when you install the new one be carefule of the torque on the bolts they're notorious for stripping. If you strip them just drill the hole clean and go up to a 7/16th 'bottoming' tap as the holes are blind.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

The mx3 two bolt wont work by drilling it as only one hole will line up to the block and even at that the shaft sits about 1/2" out of the tranny causing fluid to leak out. I wish I could just drill it out but that doesn't seem like it will be the case. I smashed the hell out of my PGT 2-bolt and the bearing seals seperated. Plus, in researching, I found that almost all PGT's and MX6's (93-94) were all 3-bolt patterns.

Again, just by the looks of the holes in the block, I need the three bolt pattern in order to get them to line up.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Any 3-bolt (ATX or MTX) from a 93-94 PGT, 626, or MX6 2.5 V6 should work correct? I would imagine the blocks are the same so the cast should be the same as well, so long as they were meant to accept the 3-bolt.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

People on this forum have used 2 bolt IS's before. Measure your shaft from bearng to end and I'll measure mine, maybe ther's a difference in lengh from one year to another. Rockauto listing will tell you by a change in PN is the shafts are different.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I'll check that. I just bought a 3 bolt just in case from a MX6 2.5 (93)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

if we got this straightened out it would be some thing to put in the FAX section. Cheers
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

OK....

I measured the MX3 2-bolt IS and found that the distance from the end of the shaft (the end that enters the transmission) to the front of the bearing housing was 11 9/16 inches.

Now, the Probe GT 2-bolt IS measures 11 15/16 inches across the same distance.

Conclusion:
- there is a length difference of about 3/8" between the K8 and KL intermediate shafts. 2 or 3 bolt shouldn't matter but which engine it comes from should (K8 vs KL).

There is enough difference in length to cause the K8 shaft to come up short when installed on a KL causing MTX fluid to leak from the transmission.

Also, the castin on the MX3 IS says K4 (2-bolt) and the casting on the PGT IS says K10 (also 2-bolt).

When my 3-bolt KL IS arrives, I will measure the same length and make sure the KL lengths are the same. Also, I will contact the dealer to see if the part numbers on the MX3 and MX6 are the same or not. My guess is no.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

What? It has nothing to do with what engine it comes from. 92-93 have 3-bolt and 94+ has 2-bolt. I have the 2-bolt sitting downstairs from my 94 K8 but I took the 3-bolt one from my 92 parts car's K8 to use on my KL-ZE just to avoid any modifications.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I'm just going based on what I measured from the two. If someone has something that disproves this, by all means, please jump in. If this isn't the norm, then I wonder why there is a difference in length from my 2-bolt shaft (MX3) to another (PGT).
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

94+ is 2 bolt like night shade says. I have a 2 bolt on my car and I am only running two bolts.. Only one bolt lines up. I had to drill out a extra hole AND chop off part of the top of the IS cause it was hitting the block cause the webbing is different from the 94 motor. It works up to thi point but for a proper fit a 3 bolt from a 92-93 mx3 is best. A probe one should work, but the output diameter for the cv axle or spline count might be different IDK.

The probe might be different in the bearing area because it proly uses different cv axles and the inside axle snub or inner joint might be a different size. But regardless, just use a MX3 one or mod it like I did
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

OK, this makes a ton of sense because my holes werent lining up and I didn't see this information in the FAQ's.

I really appreciate your help. On the back of my mx3 2-bolt IS, I can see an area where another hole could be drilled (theres an outline). Now that I have the IS and CV seperated, I'll see if I can get the IS to fit properly. I will also try the MX6 shaft to see if that works, when it comes in.

Thanks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

mazdags94 wrote:OK, this makes a ton of sense because my holes werent lining up and I didn't see this information in the FAQ's.

I really appreciate your help. On the back of my mx3 2-bolt IS, I can see an area where another hole could be drilled (theres an outline). Thanks
That's what I said
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Daninski wrote:
mazdags94 wrote:OK, this makes a ton of sense because my holes werent lining up and I didn't see this information in the FAQ's.

I really appreciate your help. On the back of my mx3 2-bolt IS, I can see an area where another hole could be drilled (theres an outline). Thanks
That's what I said
Correction, that's what she said :lol:
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Daninski wrote:

That's what I said
I realized that... 8)

Update:

I drilled out the hole and the bottom two holes lined up properly BUT, the IS does not fully enter the transmission all the way. It stays out by about 3/8" causing fluid to still leak. I checked to see if there were other holes threaded in the tranny that were closer but there aren't so I can't move it in closer and have the holes line up. The IS I tried using came from my 94 K8 ATX. My understanding was that it didn't matter ATX or MTX and from what you guys are telling me, it shouldn't matter if its a KL or K8- thus, it should work. Also, from what you're saying, the two bolt should work by simply drilling out the pre-marked hole on the bearing housing bracket. This is true as it makes it possible to put in two bolts instead of one, but then the shaft falls short of the PS transmission seal.

When my 3-bolt KL IS comes in, I will test fit this and post another update. This is really getting me frustrated... :x

Return to “Transmissions”