car wont start and hold light flashes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jokerless06
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

car wont start and hold light flashes

Post by jokerless06 »

pulled car up to carport, also put water in the car, & when i did the car sputterd & died, & it hasnt started scence & when i went to go get in the car it smelled like something was burnt & there was smoke, what could it possibley be? its a 1993 mazda mx-3 automatic 1.8 L, just rebuilt trans, and new torque con, new fuel pump!
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: car wont start and hold light flashes

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

Did you have the extra trans cooling put on when you had the tranny rebuilt?
I just went through all this with my auto GS, Its a pain in the a$$.
The hold light was on and wouldnt drive for more then 5 minutes at a time, would die all the time.
But you have a few extra troubles it sounds like, with the smoke and burning smell.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mishimot ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here is what i got for mine. You can get what ever brand you want.
I didnt get mine from that seller and i didnt pay that for shipping...
but its a starting point, if you dont have one already.
Last edited by tripleMX-3chicMS on June 19th, 2010, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"
jokerless06

Post by jokerless06 »

i dont kno my dad had a shop rebuild it and hes a 30 year plus machanic and my car wont even start it will turn over but wont start at all i thought it may be the fuel pump relay but idk.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

is the car trying to start then dieing or just endless cranking?

check your distributor for spark. then check your plugs for spark. if the problem started after getting wet theres a good chance your disty is toast.

trans cooler is not a typical part to be added in a rebuild. id check to see if it was installed and if not id get your dad to put one on. our trannies are crap and fail easily unless the cooling is upgraded.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

the upgraded cooler is what I have suggested to get the most out of the trans, the auto trans was not crap at all it was the cooling that was crap even though everyone blamed the trans. It was a design flaw never remedied by mazda that caused them to fail so often, not to mention that 90% of automatic owners never change the damn atf or filter at regular intervals.
jokerless06

Post by jokerless06 »

it just keeps crankin and thats it where is the coolin thing at and the dizzy where is that i thought it had coil packs. it ran for bout a month r two then this happened one day when it was rainin dnt really want to sell it but dnt want to put to much more money in it.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

try and find a used disty at the wreckers. you can probably find one in the wtb section too. should solve your problem
jokerless06

Post by jokerless06 »

how do i check the dizzy for a spark i would have my dad do it but were nt on talkin terms rite now.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

take out any spark plug put it back in the plug wire then put the tip of the spark plug against the engine and have someone crank it over for you and look for the spark. Its that or get a spark tester and hook that up to see if you are getting spark. Either or works.
jokerless06

Post by jokerless06 »

me again i havent been around my car so i havent really done anything but thats fixin to change at tax time lol well like i said b4 but now i remember that i was sittin in my car one day and i tried to start it i every time i would turn the key to start car i haerd this constint clicking noise so i listened for a sec and figured out it was coming from the pass side the in the middle behind the dash u kno where th ecu is so i leaned over pulled all the covers of and it was a relay i think its the fuel pump relay i kno its suppose to click but constintly pulled it out and smelled it it smelled burnt and hell i cant find the dam thing nowhere now could this b the whole problem here im fixin to have alil money to beable to put in it so let me kno
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

No fuel relay no fuel to engine simple as that, if its burnt up then yes thats a bad thing, they are cheap just go to the local parts store should not run more than 5 bucks. I would be more concerned about why it burnt up in the first place though. its not unheard of them to fail but keep a close eye on it once you change it, also see if it gets hot, if it does then there is a problem.
jokerless06

Post by jokerless06 »

i have looked everywhere for it but it cant be found the place i can get one is thru the dealewrship r at least i think its the fuel pump relay if was beside my ecu and it has a metal bracket on it and what couldev caused it is there is a hole in my windsheild on pass side rite beside where the windsheild meets the metal u had put some silicone on there i guess y it was sittin y i was waitin on my trans it had dried up and got brittle well anyways when i got in the car that day i seen a trail of water dripplets goin dwn the plastic the by the door goin rite in the dash so what does the costent clickin mean it should only click once rite
jokerless06

Post by jokerless06 »

and they want like 90 bucks for the relay
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

do you have any autoparts stores in the area? The standard motor products relay part number is RY664 the constant clicking means that it is either failing or it does not have a constant feed from the ignition ecm. You can check it by removing the relay, one side should have constant power with the key off and one should get power with the key on. You can jump the relay with a jumper wire to verify if the fuel pump kicks on that will confirm 100% if the relay is at fault, DO NOT run the car like this. Pics of the relay are here; http://www.woodys-auto-supply.com/auto- ... =STD-RY288 I think the headlight realy may be interchangeable with it to test it by swapping, but you would have to remove it to check that for sure.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

jokerless06 wrote:and they want like 90 bucks for the relay
Wow someone is ripping you off. There's nothing fancy about that relay.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”