vertical/suicide doors?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
red17
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

vertical/suicide doors?

Post by red17 »

ive seen them on mx's here and there, i was just wondering what had to be done, and where would you go about getting the kit to do this?
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: vertical/suicide doors?

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

There is a guy in Portland Oregon who does those doors, but i don't have his number anymore.
If or when you find out more... share it here... I'd love to know... Some guys here are not
a fan of that style of door mod. Personally.. i like it. :mrgreen: But, i also like Zebra interior... LOL! hahaha! :lol:
Last edited by tripleMX-3chicMS on June 8th, 2010, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"
jr4wdtrbo

Post by jr4wdtrbo »

You need to replace the door henge with a special one. I'm not really a fan of them though.

I'm bet they add HP like mad though!!!1 :wink:
red17
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by red17 »

i need to look him up then, what about the universal kits on ebay, think they might work?

how can you not like this?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

A friend of mine might make these. There has been alot of trouble getting these made.
I would get a set of Aluminum ones, if they're not too heavy, since there are so many half-res out there with huge vehicles, and our doors are so long. As far as I know, there aren't any places that actually make them, so if you find a place, make sure they're legit.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

weak sauce. Lambo doors are stupid. The only body mod that can't be seen. Save your money, or do drugs instead
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

its a mx3 not a lambo. our cars are great but there not in the same league
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mikeinaus wrote:
its a mx3 not a lambo. our cars are great but there not in the same league
I'm not a fan of Lambo doors on these either...

although, Delorean or "Gull Wing" doors would be an interesting tweak. ;)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, Lambo isn't the only, or even first to use them, and they don't always put them on their cars.
I don't really have an opinion about them on our cars, except that it would make getting in and out easier in parking lots, and they weigh alot.
Unfortunately, it would be impossible to do gullwings on the mx-3 without adding over 100 lbs.
It didn't work out well for the DeLorean, either.
I L :love: VE them on the Mercedes 300SL.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

fowljesse wrote:Yeah, Lambo isn't the only, or even first to use them, and they don't always put them on their cars.
I don't really have an opinion about them on our cars, except that it would make getting in and out easier in parking lots, and they weigh alot.
Unfortunately, it would be impossible to do gullwings on the mx-3 without adding over 100 lbs.
It didn't work out well for the DeLorean, either.
I L :love: VE them on the Mercedes 300SL.

I haven't had access to anything with Gullwings, but I'm curious how it would add weight.

I'm not sure how heavy our doors are, as I haven't removed mine yet... but I can't imagine it would be that heavy? If you did 2 powerful struts per door, it would definitely have enough power to raise them, right?

I imagine you would have to reinforce the roof, as well as remove the sunroof... that might be what you meant in regards to weight gain... I think I get it now :( I am sad now, I had actually considered that as a potential option for another Mx3 project.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, you got it. There was talk about T tops, and MX-3 convertibles, and the concensus was the same.
Just for the record; It could be done without adding too much weight, but it would cost 10X what the car is worth.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I like 'em. MX-3s look really good with lambo doors IMO. The weight is an issue though, those kits add quite some weight to the car unfortunately.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

fowljesse wrote:Yeah, you got it. There was talk about T tops, and MX-3 convertibles, and the concensus was the same.
Just for the record; It could be done without adding too much weight, but it would cost 10X what the car is worth.
I've been thinking about that since my earlier posts... Would it be feasible to reinforce only high strain areas of the roof? Kind of like a perpendicular cross bracing to help balance the weight of the doors equally? Or would that require both doors being open at the same time to work? Idk, my train of thought just derailed. I need some sleep -.-
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

The issue is more about cuting out crucial parts of the unibody's structure. The roof, especially just above the doors, keeps the car from bending in half, drooping in the middle, and twisting. It's like a double arch style bridge.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

1995 called...and laughed at your Lambo doors.

Sorry man...Lambo doors are over.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Appearance”