speakers keep getting wet.

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
red17
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

speakers keep getting wet.

Post by red17 »

in my door, both of my speakers keep getting wet when it rains. today i was on the highway and it started raining pretty hard, and after a few minutes, my right door speakers went out, whats up with this?
Ryan

Re: speakers keep getting wet.

Post by Ryan »

normal. water drains down the window and drips on them. The connector is probably very corroded. I replace my GF's speakers with marine grade ones. They handle it well, obviously.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I've never had this happen, and it rains so much here, I can see why it's the suicide capital. You can see how much new seals are, or if there's a conditioning product that will help. Maybe the constant rain here keeps them from drying, and /or shrinking.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I replaced a speaker in the front from what I believe to be the same problem that you are having. It comes from washing my car too much haha. The terminals on my current ones have some corrosion going on. You can take what you have out of the car and clean em up.. reconnect them and slap some silicone on the connections so that it seals them away from the water.
red17

Post by red17 »

But even if I were to silicone the connectors, wouldn't it still get wet in places and cause it to go out.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

red17 wrote:But even if I were to silicone the connectors, wouldn't it still get wet in places and cause it to go out.
:?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

To be perfectly nice, water doesn't harm electricity, it promotes it... just usually it promotes it to short circuit.

Silicon should fix it. I wouldn't suggest permanent stuff, but a grease. It repels water nicely.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

boom mat speaker baffles. These are cheap and easy to install. I've been meaning to get a set for the exact same reason. Check em out.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

or, polk audio makes marine grade speakers :)

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

My car has an issue with this, kind of.

When it's rained hard, the first time I open my driver's side door... water pours out from the panel. It never goes into the car, and I haven't had a problem with my speakers... but it's weird. It's only the driver door too. I think it might be related to the fact that my window sucks and the seal is messed up from me "helping" it up all the time.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:boom mat speaker baffles. These are cheap and easy to install. I've been meaning to get a set for the exact same reason. Check em out.
Very good idea. I'm gonna let into those as well
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I always made sure I had plastic protecting the back of the speakers so no water can touch them. An old milk bag works fine preferable 2%. lol
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've had the same issue for years. I'm on my fourth set of speakers from it. I've finally gotten fed up. Plastic liners did not really keep them dry and silicone will protect the terminals, but not the all important voice coil. I have pretty new door seals, but I think the problem stems from either the door seal or the seal behind the side mirror.
I just finished making a mold to create fiberglass speaker boxes that fit into the speaker opening in the door. I'll post some pics later to show you what I mean. I might be williing to sell a set of the "boxes", but I am kind of busy atm with work. Otherwise I'll post dimensions so anyone can recreate the "box". It is pretty easy with some 3/4 MDF, screws and a wax candle to make the mold.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Never had this problem :?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm thanking my lucky stars! I had to clean out my sunroof drain, and my hatch leaks at the spoiler, but...
nevermind *knocking on wood!*
I would seriously recommend looking into a seal conditioner for the window seal. You could eventually have trouble with all the electrical stuff in there.
Edit: I just thought of something; Maybe there's a way to adjust the window seal, so that it has more pressure against the glass.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”