knife edge curve neck manifold klze cheap preformance advice

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

knife edge curve neck manifold klze cheap preformance advice

Post by SpatialTerror »

i saw on the extremethings website that the did what is called knife edging on the straight neck manifold.
i was wondering what tools would be needed to do this. and if it could be done to the curve neck.
the reason im asking is because ive been doing alot of dragracing with my klze mx3. and so far ive pulled a 14.781 with a .148 reaction time. and i will not be satisfied till my car is faster than my buddys chevy camaro z28 lt1. it currently runs between 14.1 and 14.6.
is there any other ideas on how to make my car faster without spending alot of money.
i would love to dump more money into my klze.
but i have a 1992 rs that im going to bp swap and build for strictly racing. and im hoping for atleast 11's after the build.
but for now i have my klze to race and i want speed.
oh and another thing. my best 1/4mile speed was i think either 94mph or 96mph. and i wanna make it into the 100mph club.
any ideas?
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: knife edge curve neck manifold klze cheap preformance ad

Post by fowljesse »

Knife edging is one of the very last things to do, since the gain is related to how much other modding you've done. One thing people take for granted is the transferance of power to the ground. If you had 200whp, and stock suspension, motor mounts, bushings, etc... you'd lose alot of it before it pushed you foorward.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

My advice would be to remove the subs and amp lol. But out of curiousity whats the state of your suspension and tires?
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well its all stock suspension and i got heavy 17in rims. with bald cheap tires.
and i have taken out mostly all the interior.
after weighing out everything i took off. it cam out to about a 347lbs. drop of weight.
but now i feel like im stuck because i dont have hardly any money and i wanna make my car go as fast as it possibly can without spending any money
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
SpatialTerror
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Sell the 17s, get a decent set of 15s or some lightweigts with some good tread and I think youll be set. Heavy rims are bad enough but racing with baldies is definatly a no no. Then Ild go for filling your motor mounts with some urethane as thats cheap and a whole lot better for power transfer as well.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well my power steering is shot. but i was thinking about just swapping the powersteering pulley with the tensioner pully then getting a shorter belt. and aslo removing the air conditioning.
SpatialTerror
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

ya you might see a 2 horsepower gain out of all that, but again your going nowheres on crap tires. You could have 1000horsepower and if you cant get it to the ground its worthless. Invest in your suspension already lol
93 GS red (wrecked)
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well if i have extra money after my bp build i will.
but i really dont have a budget for my gs rignt now.
give me some links on suspencion and ill see what i can do with the little cash ill have for the upgrade
SpatialTerror
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

hey if i took off the cat, would there be any performance gain? i know on most car this is true. but my mx3 has proven to be a lot different but surprisingly similar to other cars. is there something i could put in the place where it goes that will just bolt up.

i have a magnaflow cat-back exhaust and if i took out the cat i could bolt it straight to the manifold. but the piping on the cat-back would hit on the uni-body b4 the cat-back would meet up with the manifold. and also another thing. would running it straight off the manifold give me much of a gain. i was talkin to some of the guys on the team I'm racing with for quick tips to make my car faster. and they said that it most likely wouldn't do much. but there not mx-3 experts and my car has proved a lot of people wrong in a lot of ways already.
a few tips I've gotten from my friends for racing on the quarter mile is take off the air filter (worked surprisingly well), change the belts to eliminate the a/c and power steering(yet to have tried), and pull out the interior (removed 237lbs improved my 1/4mile time from 15.2 to 14.9).
I'm currently running about 100 octane in the gas. I've herd that in the klze I'm supposed to be running at least 94. which is extremely hard to find in idaho sense the highest octane found at a gas station here is 93. but race gas isn't hard to come by.
another thing I'm still running on a k8 ecu. now i was thinking of buying the kl31 ecu.what kinda performance would i get from swapping to the kl-31. now i swapped the thermostat housing off of the k8 for the extra coolent temp sensor hole. along with the dist. now would i have to swap back to the kl dist for the kl-31 ecu. and if it matters i have the curve neck manifold.
and my last question for today is are the stock rims balanced. because the ones i have now are extremely unbalanced and are purely for show. and i would like something that doesn't feel like a space shuttle taking off, or does that tie into the suspension issue mentioned earlier?
SpatialTerror
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

A good quality wheel is balanced pretty well when it's manufactured but the final balance comes when the tire is installed. If your car feels like the space shuttle taking off...have the tires balanced.

The ECU would be over $200. You'd be better off spending that money on eurethane for the motor mounts and wheels/tires. Also, it's a matter of time before you cook your clutch. You should start saving for that now.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

haha k thanks for the advice. ill go down to les schwab today and get my tires balanced.
haha i have a stage 2 ceramic clutch in the ze. but it was for the 1.8 b4 it blew. and its only rated for like 200bhp and i have like 235bhp. so its burnin up worse and worse every day.
and where would i get eurethane for a good price online?
another thing im still wonderin bout it the whole exaust thing.
SpatialTerror
Tollis

Post by Tollis »

your not hearing us lol. all your talking about it more power. You need control you need the power to get to the ground or your not going anywhere. throw your tight budget at more power and keep the stock suspension and heavy 17's and bald tires and see where it gets you. Might take massive failure to realize it ;) did for me
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well i went to les schwab. had my allignment done and had the wheels balanced.
it takes off more smoothly now.
now im a little confused on urathaneing the motormounts.
ok so do i just get some of the polyurathane resin and cover my motor mounts with it?
SpatialTerror
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Check the FAQ. There is a how to.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

SpatialTerror wrote:and i have like 235bhp.
How do you have 235bhp?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”