92' stumbling issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
EggyRollz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

92' stumbling issues

Post by EggyRollz »

OK so i'm not exactly new here but I think things changed over the last 3 years haha..obviously.

Anywho , I picked up another MX-3. It's a 1992 GS. with the good ole' 1.8 boat anchor. Well it was running fantastic ( apparently sat for a VERY long time. ) on the way home from where I purchased it - 200 miles away - everything was great in fact. The next day I did an oil change , put some clean 91 octane in with some seafoam , new air filter , new pcv filter , fresh brake fluid , power steering fluid , coolant , checked the ATX fluid ( apparently the tranny was rebuilt 4K ago. Have supporting documents.) new rotors and brake pads and gave it a thorough overall cleaning.

Now when I went to start it up it hesitated for a second then fired right up. Idles around 700 rpm smoothly but when on the road and driving it has a small stumble now. I don't even notice a dip in RPM's it feels more like someone lightly bumped me from behind. Then goes back to normal.

On my old 1992 MX-3 GS I did the HEI mod but not becuase of this particular issue. It had the age old overheated distributor and would randomly die out. Take forever to restart.
this is why I don't think it's distributor related.

The only thing on the car I can see is aftermarket are the spark plug wires. The don't give a good suction seal onto the plug and close up the hole but the do 'cover' it. Could it be possible that hitting the slightest bumps in the road could be causing the boots to lose contact with the plug head ? No CEL's ore hidden codes.

Also am I getting the rear brake caliper problem ? - I hear some howling/grinding from the rear when I am slowing down. Could this be due to the caliper no tletting the pressure go after releasing the pedal ? Or is it wheel bearings ? The ride is good for the most part except during slow braking.

Sorry this is a lot of reading guys but I want to give you as much info as possible to correctly diagnose the issues I am having.
Last edited by EggyRollz on May 8th, 2010, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 Tahoe Sport SS - 454 =)
93 3KGT VR4 - K&N Filter.Proxes 4 Tires. Drilled/Slotted Rotors.
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
Feedback-viewtopic.php?f=37&t=74259
For Sale-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74832
Newfie_dan

Re: 92' stumbling issues

Post by Newfie_dan »

define the problem with slow braking for me a lil better, do you mean that they brakes are not releasing or that there is a grinding noise from them? I had 1 caliper seize up on me so I tore it down cleaned and resealed it and never had an issue afterward with it. Brake fluis is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water and if the old brake fluid was nasty enough you can get rust deposits inside the caliper causing jamming issues with them.
EggyRollz

Post by EggyRollz »

Newfie_dan wrote:define the problem with slow braking for me a lil better, do you mean that they brakes are not releasing or that there is a grinding noise from them? I had 1 caliper seize up on me so I tore it down cleaned and resealed it and never had an issue afterward with it. Brake fluis is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water and if the old brake fluid was nasty enough you can get rust deposits inside the caliper causing jamming issues with them.
Only notice it from about 30 mph down.
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
EggyRollz

Post by EggyRollz »

I think I found my stumbling issues to be crappy EBAY wires. I switched them out with some BOSCH and what do you know - no more stumbling. Life is better now =)

still need to resolve other issues :(

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”