Question About Cold Air Intake???

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
the_twig_187
antispam: No

Question About Cold Air Intake???

Post by the_twig_187 »

Hello Friends

I have seen a lot of engine bay pics with cold air intakes, my question regards wither you need to run new piping from the new cone filter all the way up to the intake manifold? Most of the pictures I have seen, it appears that the old "existing" plastic piping remained in place and it looks like just the old filter housing was replaced with the new cone air filter.

long story short: I would like to know if all I should buy is the cone filter or the entire filter piping set up?

any out there have any info or experience with this, your advice would be much appreciated
-BLACK 1996 1.6L DOHC
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3834912" (Car Domain Page)
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76892 (mx3.com worklog)
-Green 1993 Toyota Turcel (winter beater)
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Question About Cold Air Intake???

Post by Ryan »

This has nothing to do with forced induction.

You can do whatever you'd like. if you have a v6, you can slap a cone on the end of the VAF, or buy the ebay integra kit.

4 bangers will need piping, as they have the box style VAF, and the adapter plate.

Check the FAQ's. Its all a matter of opinion. The stock intake system was designed by fluid engineers taking RPM, mass flow, density, resonance and other such fluid dynamics into account. It is a superior system, but some people like the shiny pipes, or would rather not replace the stock accordion tube.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MX3forlife3XM
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by MX3forlife3XM »

would piping help at all or would you get the same effect as a cold air intake with custom tubing?
that is to say you just put it in place of the air box and not bother relocating the overflow and putting the cone closer to the ground.
Its Not A Car Its A Lifestyle
93 Black GS, K&N Cold air intake, Coming soon KL-ZE
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

ok, being as tho you have a 96 4 cyl. You'll need to remove the air box. From there, you can put a cone directly on the MAF. However; the stock intake is prone to crack and leak. There is an integra air intake that will be close to a direct fit. Make sure it has 3 (THREE) nipples so you can reconnect the stock lines/hoses.

There are soo many topics on this it's not even funny. Please search if you have any more questions, as they have all been asked and answered before.
the_twig_187

Post by the_twig_187 »

RS_OBD'oh_2

thank you very much for your patience, im new to the site and am having trouble navigating to these previous topics... I have searched for some integra cold air intakes but im not sure what year of integra is the close fit to the mx3's inline 4's model.

If you could be so kind as to direct me towards the section of the forum that this info is locate, it would be very much appreciated

thanks again :)
-BLACK 1996 1.6L DOHC
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3834912" (Car Domain Page)
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76892 (mx3.com worklog)
-Green 1993 Toyota Turcel (winter beater)
ice_mann

Post by ice_mann »

There is a complete guide to CAI's in the v6 section:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
95 MX3 GSZE- Silver, TWM STS, suspension techniques lowering springs, moroe struts, bronze-oil shifter bushings, leather MS shift knob, strut bars(Fleabay), ss headers, spec stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel , outlaw spacers, MS motor mounts , custom ss door sills, spyder projectors

WTB
coilovers
Megasquirt(dont know which one yet)
Slim Fans
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MAZDA-PROTEGE-MPV-MX ... 255a682856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or the probe intake:
this on should work. I'm using it for my turo intake. The nipples are correct, you may need a different coupler tho.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/93-94-95-96-97-MAZDA ... 4aa0da8f9d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Forced Induction”