speaker/amp suggestions

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
mikeinaus
antispam: No

speaker/amp suggestions

Post by mikeinaus »

hey ive been looking around the net for some new door speakers but i cant seem to find the info im looking for...

im trying to decide between the infinity kappa 62.9I's and the 63.9I's.

everything ive read says that 3-ways can produce a more even sound thats better at all frequencies, but that it depends on the speakers and crossover.

i really dont know much when it comes to speakers, and im having trouble finding reviews on these speakers. everything i search on google just comes up with places to buy them, store reviews.

are these speakers any good? is there any other speakers you would recommend for around $100 on ebay? i just want decent speakers that are good for most types of music. i already have a 12" mtx sub on an 800w amp so bass isnt the key factor im looking for in speakers.

looking to run off my deck for now but upgrade to an amp in the future.

what are the best brands of amps to go with? would the pioneer MRP-F300 work good for the kappas? it seems to be one of alpines cheapest amps but is perfectly matched for the kappas specs. would running 100W rms on the 62.9's be a bad idea?
Last edited by mikeinaus on March 30th, 2010, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PilotSmack89

Re: 2-way or 3-way?

Post by PilotSmack89 »

I've got the 62.9i's for my fronts, and am sooooooo impressed with them... excellent bass response, very pronounced middle, and treble that doesnt actually scream, but is quite crisp. And the crossover point on these babies is about 2000Hz, which is basically ideal. My installation was plug and play, less than an hour.
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i ended up ordering the 62.9's. should be here by friday hopefully. are you running them off an amp or right off the deck?

im thinking of eventually buying a set of polk audio DB6501 for the front then throwing the infinitys in the back. but for now the infinities up front should do nicely.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I bought a pair of Polk DB6501's. Impressive sound, but the highs can be painful if the tweets aren't angled right. (we got the non-adjustable version, so we just put a little tape over half the tweet) They are being fed about 50wrms each.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

My infinities are being fed right off the deck, which is a pioneer premier DEP410, which certainly does the job for me.

We have the 6501's and 62.9i's at work, i've always been a bigger fan of the kappas, mostly because i hate that screaching treble... but im an audiophile :lol:
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Based on the topic of this thread I was expecting something a little more interesting than stereo speakers. I'm a little disappointed.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

sorry to disappoint you. ill rename it to make it more appropriate

ps. your a perv :P
mikeinaus

Re: speaker/amp suggestions

Post by mikeinaus »

kappas arrived today. awesome speakers. they fit perfectly in the door with the supplied metal spacers and i have no problems with the windows.

on a side note i was able to modify the plastic spacers that came with the speakers to fit my old crappy 6.5" "scoshe" speakers into the rear speaker enclosures. im now in audio heaven. atleast as close to it as i can be until i get a second set of the kappas for the rear :mrgreen:

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”