axle's not releasing from transmission

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
kakarot135

axle's not releasing from transmission

Post by kakarot135 »

Hey guys,

Just finished a transmission swap on my 4 cyl SOHC 5sp and I cannot get the last part of the axle shaft out of the old transmission. either side. I have tried a slide hammer, prybars, wedging chisels in there everything. I even tried taking the case appart and they still would not come out. I need these for my core credit. any ideas...

Thanks,
Jason
Kakarot 135
Newfie_dan

Re: axle's not releasing from transmission

Post by Newfie_dan »

if you can't get them out then they are either rusted in place in which case you would be needing a good air hammer or the splines have worn and spun in the housing and in that case good luck, they will be stuck in there really good. Normally though a 14" prybar against the housing and a good pull will pop them out. There is a c clip that holds it in place in the trans. Try pushing it into the trans see if it moves, if it does then its not seized in there. I sometimes use a long flat prybar against the ridge on the cv axle and my big f***in hammer to pop stubborn ones out.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

This is a common problem. The little C clip is only supposed to just barely catch the splines of the spider gear and hold the shaft in but it expands over time and catches too much of the spider gear and gets jammed. Sometimes jiggling while rotating the shaft will help it get centered as you pry it out. Sometimes you have to remove the passenger's side shaft and use a long punch to push it out from the other side.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

I will have to try using an air chisel to see if that will release them. there is a little in out wiggle but not much. the tranny is out of the car an I have tried about everything else. I have never had a set this stuck before. I was usinf a 36" prybar and a 10# mini sledge and they wouldn't release.

thanks,
Jason
Kakarot 135
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Have you tried hammering it in once with a nice sharp whack then try to remove it?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

the trouble with the 4cyl is that there are clips on both driveshafts so if they both stick you're in a bit of a bind. On the V6, the passenger's side doesn't have a clip, so it always comes right out.

It's a matter of brute force I think in your situation. I would not use an air chisel...that would make me nervous to break the case. But a really big prybar and something to pry against is your best bet I think.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

I don't really care about the case anymore. the new transmission is in the car already and the differential is shot so I may resort to breaking the case if neccesary.

I will have to try hitting them int the trans to see if that loosens them up. I can at least get a good hit that direction
Kakarot 135

Return to “Transmissions”