Coolanat Leak advise needed

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Coolanat Leak advise needed

Post by Daninski »

I have a leak in my coolant line. It dosen't always leak but I'd rather fix it than be sorry latter. Anyone get a leak here before? I assume it's an o ring seal that needs to be replaced. Image
Last edited by Daninski on February 7th, 2010, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Coolanat Leak advise

Post by Daninski »

Anyone?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Coolanat Leak advise needed

Post by fowljesse »

Nope, you're the lucky guy to debut this problem!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

looks like pita to fix, I'd try some sealant first and see if it fixes it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

PITA indeed. I figure once I start fooling with the coolant lines I'll have to re-O ring all of them. I'd use rad stop leak but I'm kind of a stickler for doing the job right the first time. I might go to the pick and pull and rip that part off one of their cars and look at it before I start my own.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

ninja_man
antispam: No

Post by ninja_man »

i have one just kicking it around the house. if i think about it later i might go rip it apart and look in it
93 mx-3 with a klde swap. still working on
94 cobra svt. mostly stock.
08 ninja. 1 wheel fun. lol
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Thanks, I did have a spare K8 but my buddy needed the trailer it was on and scrapped it. :(
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

davmac

Post by davmac »

Hope I'm wrong, but ...you may need to make a salvage yard run for a new thermostat housing (all k series engines will interchange).
I replaced head gaskets late last summer. I had the thermostat housing off and IIRC the thermostat housing is 1 piece. Maybe the small water hose that attaches to the smaller diam. pipe that runs across valley of the engine is dry rotted. If you're sure it is in the metal seam then it wouldn't hurt to try some RTV at the seam and let it cure before driving.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hey if I have to I'll have the bloody thing welded and call it a day. :lol:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Daninski wrote:PITA indeed. I figure once I start fooling with the coolant lines I'll have to re-O ring all of them. I'd use rad stop leak but I'm kind of a stickler for doing the job right the first time. I might go to the pick and pull and rip that part off one of their cars and look at it before I start my own.
Wouldn't use stop leak, instead try sealing it on the outside, epoxy, etc. whatever works
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'd do an external repair as a temp but with the expansion and contraction, heat and the coolant itself I don't think most products would hold up. Scottch Weld maybe, Devcon Structual Adhesive is a little flexible. Hell I'll probably take it apart so peace of mind. The liquid rad seal works pretty good. Might give that a go, leave it for a week then drain and refill the sytem and see if if fixes the problem. any other suggestions?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I don't like sealants that you put into the system. I don't trust them to not gum things up. I would imagine that if you were to JB weld (or something similar) an Aluminum piece over thr leaky part, it would last. Just clamp it on over the gook, and it should take the expansion and contraction.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I just PM's johnmx3ze to ask to check his ZE as it's out of his car so he shuld be able to tell me whats needed to fix the leak.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

davmac

Post by davmac »

Obviously the best solution would be to get and install a new / used thermostat housing. 2nd best option would be to seal from the outside. God forbid its a Honda product, but I hear that Hondabond HT is a great adhesive / sealant. You can get the stuff here - and probably any Honda dealer.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Problem with sealing from the outside is eventually the pressure will probably force the coolant past the seal. Anyone else ever taken this apart? If you have a spare/old K8 sitting around could you have a look at this part and get back to me, anyone. Thanks
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”