Hatch Removal

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
maddhatter
antispam: No

Hatch Removal

Post by maddhatter »

My car was recently backed into and broke the spoiler and small glass in the hatch. I found a replacement in the local salvage yard, but and not quite sure if there is more to removal than meets the eye. It appears to be just 4 10mm nuts holding the hatch attached to the car plus the shocks, but when I tried to get the nuts off they wont budge. Mind you there is only enough room to use a small wrench to get in there as I was not able to get a socket in there because of the angle. I am wondering if the nuts are really meant to come off or if you have to get to it from the outside somehow and turn the bolt out of the nuts. I am only thinking this because the nuts seem to be frozen or welded on on my hatch and thought they should have been easier to remove than this. Maybe there is a trick to it? Thanks in advance.
Dragyn Vyrus

Re: Hatch Removal

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

the only things i am aware of are the struts a wiring harness and some nuts(however i don't remember them being 10mm) located at the very top of the hatch/roof. just reef on them they come off.
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
Savin

Post by Savin »

If you can't get to the 4 nuts on the hatch itself, you can easily get to the 4 that are on the actual car. You might have to remove the headliner, I don't remember.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
maddhatter

Post by maddhatter »

Well, after even spraying with PB blaster 3 of the 4 nuts won't come off and one actually broke apart while I was trying to remove it. They are on there for good for now, seemingly corroded onto the fastners for some reason. Anyway, since my main glass is untouched my only real issue is to replace the spoiler on the hatch and replace the clear glass in back of it that runs from side to side. I think what I am going to try to do instead is just replace the spoiler and glass from the good one in the yard instead of trying to replace the hatch as a whole now, even though is would have been much simpler and easier if my hatch came off easily. After a quick check it looks like all I have to do is remove the interior hatch trim and the third brake light and there are mounting bolts that hold the spoiler on. Hopefully this will be as easy and simple as it looks....

92 MX3 V6 Black Beauty
Savin

Post by Savin »

The spoiler is easy to remove. And since the nuts that hold on the spoiler are covered, there really shouldn't be any corrosion on those. As for the back glass: I've never removed it so I can't help there...
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have the OEM glass and spoiler, if you want them.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
maddhatter

Post by maddhatter »

Hey thanks, but I found one here in the east coast that is good in one of the local salvage yards.
Mx3forever

Post by Mx3forever »

I know this is an older post but just wanted to reply since I'm dealing with removing the hatch to paint.

I have removed one of these hatches before from inside the car, yes you have to remove the rear headliner. You can then get a socket into the
hole where the nuts are located.

However, on this car I just now removed them from the outside. I sprayed them with PB Blaster and gave them each a few taps with a hammer (That part people often overlook). After that I used a very small (what is it a 11mm?) wrench with a big cheater bar. You have to position the little wrench off to one side of each nut so you can keep it tight and straight when the cheater bar is applied. If you just came out straight with the wrench you would likely not be straight on the nut because the edge of the hatch is in the way. Careful, If you do not line it up straight, you will likely start stripping the nut.

You can go far enough with the cheater to just loosen them up enough to do the rest with the wrench. Looks like they are partly painted on, but yes they do come off.

Hope this helps the next guy.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hmm, mine always vibrate loose and start rattling. Never had a problem tightening or loosening them... Weird!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Mx3forever

Post by Mx3forever »

"Hmm, mine always vibrate loose and start rattling. Never had a problem tightening or loosening them... Weird!"

Sounds like you may need some of that blue screw and nut sealant, prevents them from rattling loose.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”