Having troubles with thermostat housing leak. help please :)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
halfblackaaron

Having troubles with thermostat housing leak. help please :)

Post by halfblackaaron »

Ok so my 93' GS has been leaking coolant. I traced the leak to the thermostat area. I noticed the coolant is leaking from where the metal coolant hose connects to the housing. I figured I would just buy a new thermostat housing and be done with it. but the new housing does not include that pipe. so how in the heck to I get that pipe to disconnect from the thermo housing.its all rusted and isn't budging at all. or is that a part that a simple autoparts store would carry for cheap as well?

ok so this is my daily driver... and I have to work tomorrow but I can bum a ride for one day, b/c I would rather not waste a full motor of antifreeze.. and its too cold to use water. So the more responses the better! thanks!
1993 mx-3 GS nothin fancy just bought for 400 bucks and Im already lovin it!
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: Having troubles with thermostat housing leak. help please :)

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I'm pretty sure there is a gasket there, maybe that needs replacing. If anything just unbolt it and use some sealant/gasket maker. You'll have to drain the coolant anyway.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
halfblackaaron

Post by halfblackaaron »

ok so I think I am being misunderstood.. the leak is coming from where the pipe connects to the water outlet ( some people call it the thermostat housing) not where the housing goes over the thermostat. here are some pics to try and help explain. basically I just want to know either

A. how do I get these two to separate (metal pipe and housing)

B. what is the metal pipe called so I can just order a new one

or C. a good way to nig rig this up with sealent that way it doesn't leak. but obviously this would not be a permanent solution...

this pic may be backwards because photoshop or my computer or both are being very dumb tonight
right where the pipe connects to the housing is where the leak is occuring, I have already bought a new housing so I just want to get the pipe out and put it in the new one. or just order a new pipe. but I don't know what its called..
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You can buy the liquid stop leak solution. As long as the stop leak is in the system you ok. Other than that I've never really looked at that part.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

there is a product out there.. can recall the name. Anyways, it's for sealing holes in gas tanks. Your local parts store should know all about it.

Or you can use Mighty puddy.. what can't that stuff do? lol
jmdearras
antispam: No

Post by jmdearras »

There is a large "o" ring in there that needs changing. wirebrush the rust out after you remove the old one so the o ring seats on smooth metal

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... E2-008.gif

If it won't pull out, try heating the housing carefully to melt the old o ring and any sealant someone else may have used.
Last edited by jmdearras on December 19th, 2009, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
halfblackaaron

Post by halfblackaaron »

ok thanks for the help so far.. but I have tried to get this thing out and it doesn't seem like its going to happen.. so I am going to try and seal it, so that it will get me buy until I buy a new one with a new o ring and hopefully they'll know what Im talking about just by me explaining it to them cause noone seems to know the actual name of this pipe.
jmdearras

Post by jmdearras »

halfblackaaron wrote:ok thanks for the help so far.. but I have tried to get this thing out and it doesn't seem like its going to happen.. so I am going to try and seal it, so that it will get me buy until I buy a new one with a new o ring and hopefully they'll know what Im talking about just by me explaining it to them cause noone seems to know the actual name of this pipe.
Sealant will be very temporary. Try baking it in an oven at 350 degrees or so, then (using potholder!) twist it apart.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

It's an O-ring. Rip it apart and replace. You can do it, don't give up and do a dodgy sealant job.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
andywilson24

Post by andywilson24 »

I've had the same problem. That pipe will twist off! You will find a bevel at the end of the pipe that holds a rubber 'o' ring in place. On mine the pipe had corroded that much that i had to replace the pipe and 'o' ring together. Only place i could get it was through ford/mazda dealer.

You'd be better replacing the lot if you have any sign of corrosion in there as it will come back to haunt you.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Those definitely come apart. Don't puss out, show it who is boss. clean the surfaces with a wire wheel, and maybe put it back together with some lubricant...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”