Probably did some serious damage...fml.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
navymx3
antispam: No

Probably did some serious damage...fml.

Post by navymx3 »

Well I got an FML for you....
I was working on my car today, adding on that inline PCV filter mod, that I found in the FAQ.
I got it installed, lookin cool, and pumped about it. I had bought new v-power NGK spark plugs, and spaced the gaps to .044, like was recommended. I got all of them in but the 1 cylinder plug. I couldnt get the spark plug socket around it for the life of me, so i looked down into the shaft, and it looked like somehow, the fule and oil had made a kind of clay, or gunk surrounding plug. So, i figured, maybe since brake cleaner is a super cleaner, maybe spraying that down there, would eat away at the gunk. so i sprayed some down there, and waiting 5 minutes....nothing...sprayed more...nothing...I was gettin really frustrated. but while i was wating, i was taking off my TB, but there was a coolant line comming of the back of the idle air control unit...(the silver unit at the bottom of the TB). I tried taking it off, but the pliers I had couldnt grip the clips well enough, so i figured, that I could shimmy it off with some good tugging...I was quite wrong. The hose tore off, and left a stub of hose still on the unit, and a torn hosee dangling there still connected to my engine.
I started bugging out, but figured I could fix it later before I got to work. So, I proceded to clean my TB wit ha full can of brake cleaner, getting as much black gunk off as I could, polishing it with a white t-shirt, and scrubbing. After I finished that, I went back to my stuck spark plug...I tried taking it out again...no luck. So I just said f'ck it. I put the sleeve of my rag t-shirt down there, to tr and soak up the brake fluid that was still there, and I got just a little bit of it, then I put the plug back into the spark plug hole. I then again tried to take off the rest of the torn coolant hose from the engine....but it tore again at the base, and left a hunk of hose still on the engine. I was getting really frustrated now...
I remember the spare foot of PCV hose i had from the original PCV line, so I made the hole on one size of the hose a little bigger, took off the stub of hose that was still on the TB, and shimmied on the PCV line. Since I had to go to work soon, I did my best to seal off the hose that was still on the engine with a lid, some super glue and tape...but no luck.
I put the TB back in, with my air intake....and fired up my car...probably a really big mistake...
As the car was idling like normally, surging from 11k to 16k, i went to the front to try and adjust the distributor a little bit. As I was doing that, the #1 sparkplug wire popped out of the hole with the end of it on fire!
I jumped up and put out the fire on the wire and in the hole. tried putting the wire back in, and it caught fire again.....my car was still running somehow, and the brake cleaner was still in the hole, and the spark from the wire was causing it to ignite....I was freakin out now.
I could smell coolant evaporating..a sweet, bitter smell, so i checked my sealed line...and it was pouring out coolant. I turned off my car, and checked my coolant fluids, it was basically dry...So i put in a gallon into the coolant cap, but it would keep emptying...I checked where the line was that I tried to seal..but it wasnt leaking from there? I saw a lot of water comming from somewhere close to there, but couldnt tell where. So...needless to say..I had to get a ride to work today..I got work at 8pm tomorrow...and at 4 on sunday...my mechanic life sucks right now....
Does anyone maybe have suggestions on what to do? about my spark plug gunk? and my coolant line? Laugh if you want...Cuz i was a little bit...but then I realized that I may have ruined that part of my engine...So...advice?
93 Mazda MX-3 GS V6 24V 5 Speed
waspone

Re: Probably did some serious damage...fml.

Post by waspone »

Owned
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Your motor is fine

You just need to get a high pressure line (or a thick flexible rubber hose) and some small hose clamps, that will fix the coolant issue. You would need to lose alot of coolant and have the engine run for some time to mess it up, so dont get worried. Just fix it the correct way before going anywhere.

As for the spark plug s---, if you can get a air compressor or something like that (some gas stations have a air blower) you can blow the crap out of the spark well. Otherwise I would just leave that plug in there after you clean it out with some thin rags and let it evaporate overnight. Remember, gas and fire dont mix son.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I'm sorry this is gonna be a real a--hole thing to say, but: n00b FAIL!!! :lol:
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

Well, how do I get all the way down there and clean that crap out? I tried a flat head screwdriver, but it wasnt long enough, and it was my biggest one too. Is there any cleaners that can get that crap out of there? Anything at all? lol.
And yes...I agree that was a huge noob fail...haha
So a bigger hose that can wrap around the current hose thats still attatched to my engine? because I try to pry that off, and i couldnt.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Definitely fix up that hose to the IAC, you'll prolly need a new set of plug wires now as well. Solo's idea was good: either a blower to get the crap out of there or a vaccuum of some sort.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

I hope I dont need new plug wires...thats really expensive...more than I can spend right now, haha, and what kind of vaccuum do you suggest? cuz I dont have a shop vac, and that crap down there seemed solid, not like a gooey substance. how could something solidify around a spark plug?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

First off.. LO-f'nL
Use a non flamable cleaner/degreaser like Simple green and maybe get a kit used to clean a rifle. It comes with a bristle brush long enough to get down in there.

Oh, and LOL
You know that a spark plug may create a spark... brake cleaner also has these universal symbols on it saying not to use around a flame.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Are you sure that's gunk in the bottom of the spark plug hole or could it be the end cap off a spark plug wire?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

navymx3 wrote: So a bigger hose that can wrap around the current hose thats still attatched to my engine? because I try to pry that off, and i couldnt.
dont double up the hose... that would end up being fail #2 and leak again

try and get it off and keep trying until you do. shouldnt be too hard, needlenose pliers twist and pull.

start now with the habit of fixing things right no matter how much frustration !
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

I worked on it last night, and found that it was in fact, the rubber end of the spark plug wire. So I got that out with a small metal pick, and changed out the spark plug finally....
Then I took back out the TB, and put that PCV line where the coolant line was, and put it all back together and fired it up...I figured that had worked...but not until i drove to work this morning...About half was there, my engine started smoking, and there was a big could of smoke trailing my car.
I didnt know what had happened, I just figured it was from the collant and water that got on my engine that night. Nope.
I got to a gas station on base, and checked it out, the PCV line had broken and the collant was pouring out again... :(
IDK where I can go to get the proper hose to keep that from happening again...
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

navymx3 wrote:I worked on it last night, and found that it was in fact, the rubber end of the spark plug wire. So I got that out with a small metal pick, and changed out the spark plug finally....
Then I took back out the TB, and put that PCV line where the coolant line was, and put it all back together and fired it up...I figured that had worked...but not until i drove to work this morning...About half was there, my engine started smoking, and there was a big could of smoke trailing my car.
I didnt know what had happened, I just figured it was from the collant and water that got on my engine that night. Nope.
I got to a gas station on base, and checked it out, the PCV line had broken and the collant was pouring out again... :(
IDK where I can go to get the proper hose to keep that from happening again...
make sure that you are not doubling up the lines.. you only want 1 PCV line on each connector. Also make sure you are using hose clamps to secure it in place.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Buy abit of high pressure fuel hose from any parts store.. cheap
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

I didnt double up the lines , I made sure to get to torn hose off last night, i just happened to find the exact tools i needed deep in my roomates garage, haha had to do some saerching though.
So i got those offf...but How am I supposed to get to a shop if the coolant is just pouring out?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

You must got find an a-ganger
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”