Can the Clutch/Pedal be Adjusted

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Can the Clutch/Pedal be Adjusted

Post by Daninski »

Ok, my clutch needs to go almost to the floor to fully disengage the clutch. My other MX-3's seemed to disengage sooner. The clutch is fairly new and I've bled the clutch line to ensure it's not the problem. Is there any way to adjust the system so pedal will diengage the clutch sooner without affecting the clutch pedal end play. Thanks
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Slammed6

Re: Can the Clutch/Pedal be Adjusted

Post by Slammed6 »

You have an adjustment on the pedal that will extend the rod to make it engage sooner. This is aside from the freeplay adjustment screw.

If you look at the top of the clutch pedal you will see two nuts on the rod, loosen them and you can spin the rod by hand. Then when your happy with the new pedal feel lock both nuts together again.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
jmdearras
antispam: No

Post by jmdearras »

Slammed6 wrote:You have an adjustment on the pedal that will extend the rod to make it engage sooner. This is aside from the freeplay adjustment screw.

If you look at the top of the clutch pedal you will see two nuts on the rod, loosen them and you can spin the rod by hand. Then when your happy with the new pedal feel lock both nuts together again.
You should adjust that rod so it is barely loose with the clutch pedal all the way up. You should not adjust it for contact or beyond.

Jim
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'll check that rod, thanks. I have to assume that if the rod is always making contact I could be riding the throw-out bearing at the clutch,,,,or not?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
jmdearras

Post by jmdearras »

Daninski wrote:I'll check that rod, thanks. I have to assume that if the rod is always making contact I could be riding the throw-out bearing at the clutch,,,,or not?
That is a possibility. Also, the clutch master cylinder needs to fully return to no pressure to draw from the brake fluid if it needs to.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm having this exact issue right now with my '93 w/ KL, the clutch doesn't completely disengage when the pedal is floored, it's VERY close, but not quite there.

I've attempted to adjust the pedal as indicated here, with no luck.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

If adjusting the threaded rod doesn't help, possibly bleeding the slave a bit more might help or when you are pressing the clutch in all the way, get someone to check to make sure the slave is moving as much as it should. If it seems to be moving all the way, but not disengaging the clutch, get a friend to use a pry bar on the fork to see if it will disengage, the fork could be bent or you could have a bad throwout bearing.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Holy sheet, reviving an old thread. Slave's can get weak and need replacing.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'll fiddle with the adjustment again tomorrow, hopefully I won't have to go too much farther into it. I need to start driving the '93 daily for a while, while I work on the '92 again.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Have you bled the system at the slave cyl yet? I'd do that first before attempting to adjust the rod. Also measure the distance the slave moves. I know it's not much but if the slave isn't exerting it's full travel adjusting the rod won't do much to fix the problem IMO.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

jaydog is back

Post by jaydog is back »

In addition to the slave cyl adjustment, there is also a pedal height adjustment. If all other adjustments fail and BOTH slave cyls are new and bled, then try doing this as well.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

The rod ended up being just what I needed, it was only 1/2 of a turn out... Hah, The locking nut was a little loose, so I imagine it just turned itself. :shrug:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Transmissions”