i need help with my 1995 V6 mx3, Car wont start but tries to

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MiltonCutie

i need help with my 1995 V6 mx3, Car wont start but tries to

Post by MiltonCutie »

Im a girl that doesnt much about my car so any replies would be appreacited. :D
I recently noticed that when i come to a complete stop my charge battery light will come on. I would rev it up until it went away. Putting my signal, lights or wipers on the charge battery light would come on again. Im not sure if this has anything to do with the alternator.. The battery is new as of last year so i dont know why the light would come on and off like that. I tried to start my car on friday.. it sounds like it wants to start but it doesnt kick in. I thought i would look under the hood at the spark plugs.. as i pulled one plug out of the socket,the 2 sockets on the back of the engine are covered in oil. Could this be my head gasket. ?? I have never noticed any smoke or smell coming from the car. I am stumped on why my car has suddendly stopped working when it tries to start. can anyone tell me why this is happening???PLEASE.. i need my car back
WhiteFinish

Re: i need help with my 1995 V6 mx3, Car wont start but tries to

Post by WhiteFinish »

The light means that either your alternator or battery is dying (probably gone by now). You can test your battery at almost every carshop.

The oil on the plugs is probably from a leaking valvecover gasket, quit some work to replace it since the intakemanifold has to come off but doable.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

just finished did mine the oter weekend. try not to take off the throttlebody because the gaskets are hard to come by. Theres alot of things 2 disconnect molex plugs, vaccum lines etc. just make sure you make a mental note of where everything goes. Other than that its not too bad.
MiltonCutie

Post by MiltonCutie »

the battery is fine, the car has power. I think its the alternator not charging the battery.. the car is a 95 with almost every original part, so......... that could be it. But i am concerned about all the oil in the spark plugs.. is there suppose to be oil in there if the car is cold??(been sitting for 2 days)

i miss my car and really want it fixed, but i paid $7000 for it 7 years ago.. have already changed the cv boots and drive shafts, new battery, new tires, new rotors and breaks, front and back + a lot of little things.. i just want to fix it and sell it before it really gives out on me.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

its just your valve cover gasket. just need to put some gasket maker around the spark plug holes and reinstall. 5 dollar fix and a little bit of work.

oh and sounds like the alternator is going, should get progressively worse until the battery light is on constantly and not just at idle.

cheapest bet for an alternator is a junk yard, theyre pretty expensive for a re-manufactured @ the parts stores

if you just want to sell it thats the way to go
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I don't agree, respectively. If the car is at the junkyard it is probably because it was neglected somehow and someon just decided to cut their losses. Quite possibly there was oil leaking down onto the alternator and they're all fried. I just had mine replaced for that exact reason. With the alternator (NEW), belt, and install it was 206 CAD.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
msd-super

Post by msd-super »

Hello....
Well battery light can be on for many reasons...
1) Its actually dying (but yet yet there is no dying it either works or don't)
2) I would look at the wires that are attached to the alternator. they temp to corrode and lose connectivity (if wires are good) follow the wires leading to the battery (from the alternator) and check that they are not corroded/cut/cracked etc.
3) Using the "Quick fix" products is not right (in my opinion) cuz they work but don't last long. So i would replace the gasket for the cylinder head cover.

head gasket - - - was ur car ever overheating??? and when u had the heat going on hot was it ever cool???

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”