code 16 nighmare

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Daveb

code 16 nighmare

Post by Daveb »

I have a 94 gs, 1.8 stock. It starts hard when cold, you usually have to turn it over a few times, stop, and then it starts right up. Runs OK when cold but when she warms up the ECU light comes on (was randomly but mostly on now when hot), and when you come to a stop it stalls. After stalling with ECU light on, it is usually hard to start (you gotta give it gas). I only run the car in the summer and last year the check engine was coming on sometimes when I first got it out, after a tank of gas it cleared up & ran fine the rest of the summer.
Its a new problem, I had the car a few years & it ran great even though I have had to change the disty a couple times.

I got the ECU code 16, EGR valve poition sensor, when I saw were it was I decided to get my buddy the Mazda mechanic to change it for me (fresh paint), what a miserable placement but I dug up entire unit at the scrap yard & he put it one for me. The old egr wasnt jammed but I figured it was the sensor. He also added a new set of Iridium plugs & a brand new set of NGK wires. I picked the car up yesterday and its still the same.

I took some previous MX-3.com advice and changed my water temp senors (big & little 1), still not fixed. I just finished changing the ECU (I had a spare kicking around) lasted about 5 miles and then light came on again.

I also changed the double selinoids by the throttle body. I am almost out of ideas, I doubt its the wiring, its usually pretty reliable and its not in bad shape. The car used to start perfect, turn the key & vroom, you never even heard the starter turn. Now its lousy. I m starting to think about trying another disty, I ve got a whole running 93 GS parts car coming this weekend, I may be selling parts later on.

Could it be TPS sensor since its on the EGR system circuit or the crank position sensor? It is acting like an EGR problem. I cant believe the odds that my scrap yard EGR sensor would be bad in the same way. That would be bad luck.

I m already seriously thinking KLZE since EGR wouldnt be a problem LOL

Any advice is greatly appreciated
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
vansolrick

Re: code 16 nighmare

Post by vansolrick »

Sadly I don't have any advice but I can share that I'm having a similar problem. I get the EGR code 16 when driving in the heat for a while. However, my engine never stalls. But, my idle is always screwed up when the engine is cold. If I give it gas and rev (lets say) to 2k revs, it will drop back down to around 800 revs, then rise on its own up to around 1.4k revs. I'm not getting any other codes at the moment. My TPS is fine, but maybe it's a problem that I installed it on a slightly larger TB (one from an MX-6). Anyway, I'm going to do a KLZE swap sometime in the future so I won't have to put up with the EGR anymore, eventually. But, I still want to fix my issues and keep my K8 running well until then.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Definitely sounds like a bad case of EGR. Maybe the pipe that's the passage to the EGR valve is clogged?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

I have been driving with code 16 for 2.5 yrs now... no problems at all like that.... I also changed the sensors but it changed nothing. Something tells me code 16 is not your problem...
:shrug:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The EGR you installed could of been bad as well?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Daveb: looks to me you're making the same mistake most people make when it comes to computer codes.
If the computer is giving you a code 16, that doesn't mean AT ALL that the EGR valve is bad. It means "something" in the EGR circuit is bad, or giving a bad reading.
Follow the circuit. It can be something as simple as a dirty connector, or a frayed wire.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
edger0587
antispam: No

Post by edger0587 »

Yeah, I began having a similar problem. I checked for vacuum leaks, and even overhauled the vacuum system with new hoses and pcv valve and everything, but no difference, problem was still there. I took it to a mechanic and told him the problem and that I had gotten a code indicating it was the EGR system. he asked if there was a bad smell of gasoline with the car on, and yes there is, so he said it was the valve.
Last edited by edger0587 on September 10th, 2009, 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Elegant Beige 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS. CAI, Short throw shifter, 16" miata rims
1992 Mazda miata. Classic red, stock everything
RIP 1994 Mazda mx-3 RS

"Cats make terrible doctors"
_-Night-Shade-_

How would the EGR valve make the cabin smell like gas?
edger0587
antispam: No

Post by edger0587 »

i don't know. That's what I was told. I have not idea. He's not that great of a mechanic tho...and the smell was not in the car (I wrote it wrong), but outside when the car is on
Elegant Beige 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS. CAI, Short throw shifter, 16" miata rims
1992 Mazda miata. Classic red, stock everything
RIP 1994 Mazda mx-3 RS

"Cats make terrible doctors"
_-Night-Shade-_

The EGR is a closed system between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head, unless he meant the actual pipe that goes from the header to the EGR... If it smells I would say it's probably the EVAP system of something to do with the gas tank.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”