shifter whoes...

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MapaX5
antispam: No

shifter whoes...

Post by MapaX5 »

ok, so i just got this car, it's a '92 rs (4cyl) and the shifter is completelly messed up. the bushing that holds the whole thing up (at the bottom at the shifter) is no longer there, so it literally just hangs on top of the exhaust. i haven't been able to find any mx-3s at my local junks... anyone got one of those plates i can buy off?
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
Mad Cow

Re: shifter whoes...

Post by Mad Cow »

For a quick fix just drill a hole through the round part and the floor and bolt it on. Mine's been like that for a few months now, it feels terrible but it works.

Also, you could try getting one from a protege or 323 of about the same year, they use a very similar chassis so it might just work.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Buy a good two part rubber product like Durathane. Smear it around the mount and the shifter, hold the shifter in place for the full cure time and your good for another 5-10 years. You'll need to go to an automotve supplier. Don't use some cheap $5.00 stuff it won't work. Other than that buy a new mount.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

search for an anti drop bracket on ebay or something.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Daninski wrote:Buy a good two part rubber product like Durathane. Smear it around the mount and the shifter, hold the shifter in place for the full cure time and your good for another 5-10 years. You'll need to go to an automotve supplier. Don't use some cheap $5.00 stuff it won't work. Other than that buy a new mount.
Hey that's a good idea, but where can I buy something like that?

And there's a member here who made anti-drop brackets and still has a few. I messaged him a few months ago asking about it but I decided it was a waste of money after seeing a picture.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Any industrial supply place will have it. Devcon Durathane 94. Simply mix both parts together, apply to both shifter and mount, shove it back in and hold for 5-10 mins. Give it an hour to fully cure and I guarantee it's fixed forever. I did have the Email for the guy with the anti drop bracket, it's like $28 bucks.

http://www.plasticworld.ca/Devcon.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Daninski wrote:Any industrial supply place will have it. Devcon Durathane 94. Simply mix both parts together, apply to both shifter and mount, shove it back in and hold for 5-10 mins. Give it an hour to fully cure and I guarantee it's fixed forever. I did have the Email for the guy with the anti drop bracket, it's like $28 bucks.

http://www.plasticworld.ca/Devcon.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I remember Nd4SpdSe wrote something about not being able to get it anywhere nearby and actually having to drive to the US to get some. Are you sure I'll be able to get some locally?

Or what if I just get some of that urethane window sealer in a tube? It doesn't need to last forever because I'm planning on selling the car soon enough anyway.
progt91
antispam: No

Post by progt91 »

i used urathane(window weld) on mine and it works great. cost me about ten bucks for the tube. just let it sit for a few days to dry properly and you are set.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

progt91 wrote:i used urathane(window weld) on mine and it works great. cost me about ten bucks for the tube. just let it sit for a few days to dry properly and you are set.
Yea I just bought a tube of that stuff, hopefully I can do it properly.

Return to “Transmissions”