MTX Conversion: Axles and mounts

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
mazdags94

MTX Conversion: Axles and mounts

Post by mazdags94 »

Talked about this with mark so I maybe someone can shed some more light on this for me. When doing the MTX to ATX conversion, the rear motor mount is different on the ATX than the MTX. The bracket doesn't even come close to bolting up to the MTX tranny. Can anyone clarify how this is installed? I checked the FAQ section on the V6 trannies and even the "cleaned up guide" doesn't mention this. What mounts are interchangeable and which ones need to be purchased (and why?) Pics would be great if anyone has any.

Also, regarding the axles.... why can't you use the drivers side axle from the ATX on the MTX?

In the FAQ section, it mentions that you need a drivers side axle from an MX3 MTX but doesn;t say why. Is it longer than the ATX axle?

I have the front and rear mounts now (thanks Mark!) but the rear mount doesn't seems to bolt up to the tranny.

If anyone could please clarify this, I would appreciate it.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Silkwyrm

Re: MTX Conversion: Axles and mounts

Post by Silkwyrm »

Basically when your doing a trans swap. You need the mount specifically for the transmission your putting in. This is the mount on the Left side of the car bolting directly to the top of the trans. I think the three other mounts can stay the same.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I know that the top mount is different as I read the FAQ for the conversion. The front mount is the same, and the #4 mount is the same. However, the rear mount (firewall side) will swap over, BUT... the bracket that holds it does not. It seems like where the bracket would mount on the MTX, the shifter is in the way. I'll get pics and post em I guess.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd bring this one back: I'm wondering the same thing about the driver's side GS axle - are they not the same on the ATX and MTX?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Passenger is for sure the same, and since the halfshaft has the same splines, I'd assume the diff itself has the same splines....

Only issue might be length. Got the parts lying around? give it a whirl.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

was just looking for info on this again, and I can clear it up

Passenger side ATX axle is 1 mm longer.

DS ATX axle is 2 cm longer.

I believe halfshafts are the same. (don't have MTX halfshaft laying around, but I used ATX and don't have any axle bind)

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Half shafts must be the same cuz the motor block is cast to accept the half shaft mount in one place only and whether it's a two of three bolt bearing mount dosen't matter.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

but the tranaxle could be either a different width, or shifted 2cm to the passenger side to explain the longer DS axle.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Update:

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... _M-032.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The manual says that the PS CV Axle on the K8 are within 1mm of each other (thus, the same basically). The DS axle is different by about 1/2" which can definitely be enough of a difference.

PS:
ATX- 608.6mm
MTX- 608.7mm

DS:
ATX-648mm
MTX-635.2mm

Therefore, when doing the ATX to MTX swap, you should get the DS axle for a MTX but it shouldn't be necessary for the PS.

Return to “Transmissions”