bp swap, temp guage all the way up

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MX_Sid

bp swap, temp guage all the way up

Post by MX_Sid »

I have a 92 rs and just dropped a protege bp in it. I havn't soldered the V.I.C.S. to the ecu yet but everything else is complete. last night I finally got to kick it over, time it, and go for a spin around the block, I love it and cant wait to get the V.I.C.S. going. However, I noticed that as soon as i turn the key the temp guage shoots straight to the top. I have replaced what i believe to be the temp sensor (green plug) with a protege bp sensor. could it be the "other" wire from where i wired in the injectors? i know on the protege bp that the V.I.C.S. is black with red stripe and the other wire that didn't have a place in the old harness was black with oily nasty stripe on it, I assumed this was the coolant system ground that I kept reading about so i grounded it to the block. I'm still an amature and not all that comfterable playing with hot wires(I get shocked a lot, haha) someone said to run it to the white/red wire going to the small side of the ECU, but that post also said the V.I.C.S. wire was a different color so Im unclear if that even applies to my application. otherwise, THANX for all the great info on the swap, after i get this last bug figured out I plan to post a worklog since my swap had things that there were no postings for, and it may help the next newbe to swap an engine. Once again thanks for all info past and present!
I HATE mechanic shops and LOVE junkyards!!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: bp swap, temp guage all the way up

Post by Ryan »

I didn't bother reading that

Its the Temp Receiver Unit.

Its a single wire sensor on the front of the thermostat housing. use the MX3 one.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Ryan wrote:I didn't bother reading that

Its the Temp Receiver Unit.

Its a single wire sensor on the front of the thermostat housing. use the MX3 one.
Lol... Classic... Well said!!
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

that simple huh? AWESOME!!! you guys r :lol: ock
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

so i changed out the sensor on the spark plug "front" of engine with the old one from my MX. it was the only single wire connector i saw but to no avail. I'm going to mess with the "other" wire that comes off the injector harness to see if that does anything.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

What are you talking about spark plugs for?

Look at your old B6 like you would if it were in the engine bay. Look below the distributor. Its that one.

Do I have to go take a picture? Don't make me!

In this picture...

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... B1-018.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you count the arrows, from left to right, its the 5th one from the left.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

the "spark plug front" is the part ov the engine facing front most since most diagrams refer to the front ov the engine as the place opposite from the tranny or the #1 cylinder face which as far as i can tell doesnt have any wiring(haha), so i just assumed you ment the front most side but gave a "landmark" for clerification to make sure we are talking about the same place. And yes, I swapped the sensor under the disty with one from MX. I also tried disconnecting that wire all together and the temp guage still is as high as the needle can go. However, when i reconnect that wire and disconnect the wire on the grounding clip(i think) sitting top ov thermostat housing, the temp guage doesnt work and the connector looks like their should be another wire going to it, i matched the color of wire off a piece ov the BP harness and the black/green wire that i think goes there is run to the ground clip on the front ov the 1.6L. which i re-routed the whole clip to the bolts on top between disty and injectors. how many wires are actually supposed to go to that ground? there are 2 spots to clip wires onto and one is where the black/green mystery wire is grounded too with the help ov a wire nut.(damn previous owners and their jimmy rigging everything! :x )
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

well, switched the grounded black/green from the little ground plate thing onto the ground at the thermostat housing didn't change a thing temp is max when plugged in and non functional when unplugged. either way the car still runs the same but i think it's in safty mode or whatever. i kinda expected a little more kick from this engine. I really should quit being so cheap and just get a book in it eh? hahaha, help is always appreciated, thankz! btw, where was the non-V.I.C.S. extra wire off the injector harness supposed to go? was it really to the white/red wire going into the ecu or was that a misprint? or does it even apply to my car?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You're very confusing. try making some paragraphs.

VICS, the white/red trace can tap into the injector harness. The other wire has to run to a new pin in the ECM.

Do you have a mazda fuel rail?

Which temp sensors have you NOT replaced?

This is what my temp guage read before I changed the single wire sensor beneath the disty :

FROM MY WORKLOG:

Get a plug you don't need, with a pin you need in it. The long sides of each plug will unclip and fold away. Once you do that, push with a little tool into the pin, and pull on the wire at the same time and it will pop out. to install it again, just push it in(with the side fodled down), it should click.

People talk about running red/white to the ECM as well, but thats silly because its part of the injector harness, and mostly everything else.

The coolant temp sensor is part of the injector harness, which is different than the SOHC harness. The effect is that the injector harness is a 8 plug on the BP and 6 plug on the SOHC. (extra two wires on bp are the +VICS wire (black/brn, or something like that) and the coolant ground...(my was messed, I had two of the exact same wire running to two different parts of the coolant sensor apparatus... I hope I wired it right) I cut the plug off of the main harness and wired in the BP one, because I'm switching rails later again, so I only want to do it once.

Not sure what to do with the disty. They are both the same plug, and 3 wires are the same, but on the BP its a yellow/blue (i think) and on the mx harness its solid orange. hmm. Just plug and see what happens.

Everything works like that.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

yeah, sorry for the lack of paragraphs, but thats how i talk, one long run-on sentence.HAHAHA cool 10-4 on the ground coming off the injector wire harness got that right. and here is the part where I get to say, DAMN! should have paid better attention to the swap write up, cuz the very last post on it says that you gotta switch the position of the ground and sensor wires. made it work great no problems. and a friend soldered the vics directly to the pinout. is that bad? seems to work ok, haha.

Also, I noticed a ticking sound coming from the injector rail area on the tranny side. could that be a valve rocker or something echoing to displace the sound? doesnt sound much like it's from the head, almost like a spark arching, but in time with the engine speed. I only notice it when idleing or at low rpm's cuz my exhaust is really loud. any ideas? greatly appreciative that ya keep the flaming to a minimum haha but if not that's cool too. like i said, should have paid better attention.
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

Try to pinpoint the ticking sound, your injectors could be getting old, they sometimes start getting loud before they fail so it would be good to make sure. Get a small peice of fuel hose or something around the same size (preferably unused) and put it up to your ear and check different places along the injector rail and valve cover, that will help drown out other noise and magnify the sound in that specific area.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Na man, just tell yourself its DISI and move on.

ticks are ticks are ticks. Happen everywhere, expecially on mazdas. You'll know when a tick is a bad tick. You'll hear it for sure and you won't need to be outside of the car, with the hood popped, and your head in the bay with a makeshift stethoscope to hear it.

although, $10 on a bung-ed up HLA.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”