auto mx-3 to 5-speed mx-6

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
hush22
antispam: No

auto mx-3 to 5-speed mx-6

Post by hush22 »

Hello, Ive search this topic and havent come up with any real threads so far on this conversion. Im extremely mechanically inclined, however thought this would save me some time in trying to figure it out then just doing it. SO far both engines are removed. Pedals swapped over. The mx-6 pedals will fit but needed to have and extra bracket made to support the upper portion of the assembly do to the fact that there is a wire harness where the pedal would bolt to on the mx-6. I noticed that the transmission mount from the mx-6 will not work along with the rear motor mount. The auto mx-3 has a lower cross member containing two mounts (front and rear) The mx-6 does not and the rear bolts to the rear cross member. Another question I have is that I can only assume that I will be needing these part from a manual mx-3? I was also thinking swapping over the intake manifold from the 3 to the 6 engine for better clearance considering this is a budget build.

Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated.
Silkwyrm

Re: auto mx-3 to 5-speed mx-6

Post by Silkwyrm »

Saw a MX-6 at the junk yard this weekend while looking for some parts and yeah, the tranny looks the same but you would need the mounts and wiring from a manual MX-3. Dont know about any clearance issues with the intake manifold though.
hush22

Post by hush22 »

thank you. Do you know of any threads on this issue?
mazda___mx3

Post by mazda___mx3 »

mx6 transmission is the same housing, im running a 5spd from a ford probe, the only difference is you have to swap the brackets from the auto trans mx3 onto the manual transmission so it will fit the mx3 engine/trans mounts
hush22

Post by hush22 »

thank you I was hoping to hear that. The only problem so far is finding a 5 speed junker. These cars are hard to find here in AZ. I search countless yards between where a Live and Tucson. Making a 3 hour drive to PHX to go to some YOU PULLS.

The guy above was suggesting swapping harnesses? On a Honda 5 swap you can retain the harness but just have to jump a few wires for the reverse, Neutral safety, and lastly the lock out solenoid. Same for MX-3? I found a thread on reverse and Neutral, I noticed also that the Mx-6 has some different sensors and/or lacking from the 3. My question now is what ECU? Manual MX-3 or MX-6? I was considering using the 3 intake manifold to retain the same sensors in case the ECU became a problem. Will the MX-3 ECU work with the 2.5?
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

Umm not sure what was meant by brackets, but if refering to the mounts, the ones from the automatic are very different from the ones you need for the manual. So again you want all the plugs and wires, and the mounts from a manual mx-3.
hush22

Post by hush22 »

my motor and transmission are installed. For those who don't know the automatic lower cross member and automatic motor mounts will work. I did need however was the transmission top mount, i couldnt find one at the local junk yard so i just built mine. The passenger side auto axle worked using the mx-6 intermediate shaft. the driver i bought new for manual v6 as the auto is just to small for the manual diff.

WIRING!!!! I know there's got to be away to use the existing harness I just need to find some info. Ive read the fAQ but the information is very vague. He mentions an orange plug? What Orange plug? There's no mention to its location. Under Hood? Under dash? Also no mention to what ecu. I figured of the key lock out tho which jumping the two wires at the four pin plug at the shifter. Green to Green with white.
hush22

Post by hush22 »

i found this thread which was helpful. This information allows the starter to turn, now I need fuel.

http://ww.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=68917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

The ECU shouldn't really matter. Bellow the dash just forward of the shifter there should be an ECU that was just for the Auto trans. That can be disconnected but then you have to rewire the brake lights, it does stop the hold light from blinking though if you dont feel like pulling the bulb from the guage cluster. The ECU further under the dash is the main engine ECU. There is currently some debate as to which is best depending on which MAF/VAF your using which which engine. However I find the original ECU I had (KL01) with the JE50 MAF works fairly well with my KLZE. But waiting for someone to come up with dyno results showing the best combination. With the orange plug yellow plug thing, i dont know which model had the orange plug. My SE had a yellow plug which is no longer used for anything.
hush22

Post by hush22 »

hey thanks. The car runs now. it runs a ittle rough now. At first it seemed to a vac leak causing it to sound as if maf wasnt reading correctly. But no code. I found the problem which was a broken hose coming from the valve cover ventilation port to the intake tube. Now that that is fixed i have a check light. So ill read some more to find out how to read the codes.
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

must have been tired when I made the last post. The Brake lights work fine with out the Trans. ECU. It the reverse lights that need to be rewired.

Return to “Transmissions”