Oregon Dyno Day results!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Oregon Dyno Day results!

Post by fowljesse »

So...
We went to an RX-7 sponsered dyno day, and I got there early, and was the first one on. He shut it down right away, saying it was running extremely lean (22:1!). I checked the MS VE table, and it was totally screwed... through the whole map, it had the idle values for every part of the map.
It was emberassing; I had to take the car off, and figure out how to load the right table.
It took a little while because I'm computarded.
So, I got it fixed up with a very basic table for a KLDE.
Long story short, I got 161.9WHP @ 6600 RPM, and 140.7 Torque @ 4500 RPM.
I was running really rich. I'm putting in a wideband O2 sensor on Monday. The only way he knew, was by putting a wideband O2 sensor in my exhaust pipe. He said I could tune about 15WHP with just leaning it out, and a few more tuning the spark.
I was up there with the N/A cars (RX-7s, and 8s), beating alot of the stockish ones.
They're going to post up the list on their (Forged Performance) website.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Oregon Dyno Day results!

Post by Mooneggs »

wow what an awesome time today.... so here are the results if I can remember correctly... correct me guys if I mess these up!

VancouverWA: just showed up to watch (he's waiting for his BP before he will dyno) fun hanging out with ya man
Fowljesse: listed above in his post
Stereoking15: 145 WHP and 146 torque... not sure the RPM's
Mooneggs: 116.2WHP @ 4500 RPM and 146.6 Torque @ 3000 RPM

so you're probably thinking... man Mooneggs is a loser and sucks at life.... well I have had this problem of lack of top end (above 4500rpm) and I was getting beat by trucks and sedans sooo.... after trying the probinator ECU and the KL36 ECU, it was concluded after looking at the dyno sheets and looking at when I revved to see in horror, my fuel PSI would drop from 40 to 20... fuel pump had failed and i was leaning out...BAD... sigh such a simple thing...

so I went home and installed my Walbro 255 fuel pump.... took it back out for a spin and HOLYCRAP it's so fast... anyways I'm going to go get another dyno probably next week some time to get some REAL numbers

I have a question though... why on earth do I have that much torque that low (compared to jesse and dana)??

I'll post up some pics soon...
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm glad that it was your fuel pump!
Yeah, it was really fun hanging out with you guys.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I'd like to know how the dyno goes for you. Interesting to see if you'll run as rich as me...
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Wouldn't mind seeing pics of the dyno graphs either, it seems there are some problems with running rich or lean with the ZE swaps - would be interesting to see what you make and AFR too, Mooneggs, once you do another run.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

vids!

also

BOOST IT!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

RX8SE3P wrote:Wouldn't mind seeing pics of the dyno graphs either, it seems there are some problems with running rich or lean with the ZE swaps - would be interesting to see what you make and AFR too, Mooneggs, once you do another run.

What I gathered after some reading is that ECU mainly doesn't know what to do with a modded motor. It's tuned for bone stock, but it doesn't have the tools to compensate for modifications, as it ignores the VAF signal completely after 5500 rpm, and just works off stock tables, which means ECU wouldn't know it if your motor is breathing deeper.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

all I know is that my motor gets extremely loud and vicious sounding after 5500 rpm... like a jet taking off or something :freak:

My thought now initially that my ze is finally running right is that the probinator DOES make a difference... It feels so much more powerful than my other car ever was... Once I get the DD running again I'm going to dyno it as well so I can have some comparision... basically both cars have all the same mods - just different trannies and cams. (ss autochrome headers, outlaw spacers, bored TB, HEI mods, 7 nipple distis, 8.5 MSD wires, iridium plugs, same fluids used (royal purple, amsoil), front and rear AWR 88 mounts)

DD with kl36 (kl01 cams and mx-6 tranny)
DD with probinator

Race car with probinator (kl31 cams and mx-3 tranny)
Race car with kl36

Once I swap the pacesetter headers on I will re-dyno the race car to see if there is a difference (hopefully gains). I will run it with both ecu's too again so we finally get to see if this stuff actually makes a difference!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, I recommend MegaSquirt. Even on a stock motor, you can tune more power out of it by matching the fuel/ spark to whatever conditions are immediate. Even the best ECUs on very expensive cars have a very general "safe" tune that can be tweaked for more power/ economy.

Since it was a dyno day, the readouts are very simple. They don't show the AFR.
Here's mine:
No one dyno tunes MegaSquirt. They're all scared. However this place says they may work something out with me.
I'll have to use my negotiating skills :)
I have a video, but my computer connection sucks. I'll try to get it up somewhere.
My car sounded awesome.
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

i feel completely failed after this attempt, like i said before we went be prepared to be embarassed.. but what i dont understand is howcome i was able to run a 14.0 something at 100mph and only pull 145hp at the wheels? on street tires none the less?
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I dont get it either, when i was n.a i would get 15.5 @ 4000ft elevation,and my dyno shows 162 whp.

I havent dynoed lately but boosted I got a 14.4, a whole sec diff... and you are getting 14 sec flat at 145 whp... thats klde with bolt ons range right there. I think something is wrong.. is that a mustang dyno? dynojet?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Keep in mind every dyno is different. Also keep in mind that the same car dyno'd at different temp, altitude, etc. will produce different numbers. The dyno is only really worth anything as a tuning tool. Two guys on opposite sides of the country comparing dyno values is really not valid.

Tuning your motor from start to finish on one dyno is the reason they exist and the only thing they're really good for.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

but shouldnt i be getting crappier numbers? aroind 100 degrees, 4000 feet altitude...
-hec

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

meh alls I know is I can't wait to go back and see what i really have... just got back from a drive and wow I've never driven an mx-3 that pulls so hard! :shock: :o
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Mooneggs, you ran a 14.4 and now you're saying the car feels way faster now??

I would love to see how it goes now!

Btw interesting about the fuel pump. I'm thinking of getting one. Did you use one for an MX6 or one specifically for MX3 because I have seen them on Ebay (walbro) for MX6s.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”