Steering lock/Ignition problems

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Redline322

Steering lock/Ignition problems

Post by Redline322 »

Hey guys,
I have a 93 GS and I cant get the key to turn in the ignition because of the steering lock. My only key is getting weak and bent and since I dont wanna take the chance of it breaking, I was wondering if there is a way to disable the steering lock easily?
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Steering lock/Ignition problems

Post by Ryan »

Yeah. Turn the wheel.

Put a little pressure on the key and turn the wheel each way as much as you can. Should work.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

I was using as much force as I could on the wheel and turning the key, but now the key has started to split. There should be a way to disable the steering lock without the key though.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, you don't need alot of pressure, that's probably part of the problem, just slight pressure and wiggle the wheel, my Mx-3 and 626 both did the same thing, but that's mostly only if you parked with your wheels turned.

If that's not the case, or maybe combined with it, you key is wearing out, so it's basically starting to act like it's the wrong key. You may need to get it rebuilt
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”