Battery relocation...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wytbishop

Battery relocation...

Post by wytbishop »

I'm going to relocate my battery to the cargo area so that I can put my intake piping where the battery was. My question is, for those of you who have done it, where did you source your power wire. Did you use battery cable or car audio power wire? Did you get it in an automotive store or a car audio shop? I'm just curious. What other bells and whistles did you include?

Just curious.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Battery relocation...

Post by fowljesse »

My car had a 4g audio wire that I used (The guy had some huge subs) that was already routed to the front. I bought the generic battery box at a speed shop, and screwed it down, and vented it (it's all in my worklog). I also got a 175 amp fuse, and holder (I'll put a pic in my worklog), and a kill switch. You'll see where I grounded it, too.
Let me know if you have any questions.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

good question, i would like info on as well, i plan on doing this soon 2
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

i originaly used the 0awg i had running for my stereo setup, mounted the battery right against the back in a plastic battery box, vented it threw the harness below the latch, grounded it out to the rear seat frame. had a fuse in the rear, one in the front where i used a distro block to run the other wires in the engine bay which were 4awg. worked pretty good but i need to redo it this summer, going to use a aluminum box for one battery or use 2 6 volt optima batteries and mount them above the rear wheels in the body.
1993 White gs klze.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I got a dual-amp kit from my local car audio shop. It came with plenty of 0awg to get to the rear. I don't have it vented since it's a sealed Optima. I have a Mx-3 battery tray mounted in the rear right corner of the trunk, and the battery is in a plastic battery box and tied down.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

i bought some KLM knu koncept 1/0 gauge wire for the power from the engine bay to the trunk but i think 4G wires are ok... and i have a optima redtop battery so i can put it anywhere or anyways... i would say get some audio wires... and get a distribution block at the front for your 2 power wire to your 1 power to the back...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I picked up a power distribution block for 4AWG input. I figure that's plenty big enough wire. I was planning on using the MX-3 battery tray or just picking up a $10 generic one from the parts store. I'm not sure if I need things like fuses and isolation switches. I'm just having trouble finding the wire I want. Where did you guys get it?
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

When you mention 'vent' the battery box.... do you mean exposing it to outside air? I would assume that there are harmful vapors that are released? Does the vent need to be large or just enough to provide some air movement?

How did you vent it?
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Usually a vent tube would be routed outside the cabin somehow.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

wytbishop wrote:I picked up a power distribution block for 4AWG input. I figure that's plenty big enough wire. I was planning on using the MX-3 battery tray or just picking up a $10 generic one from the parts store. I'm not sure if I need things like fuses and isolation switches. I'm just having trouble finding the wire I want. Where did you guys get it?

thats were i bought mine shipping was extremely fast like 2 days it was here...

http://www.knukonceptz.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

i went to napa and bought 12 feet for 4 gauge(i do beleive its 4 anyway). As it turns out 12 feet is too short, i would recommend at the least 13 or 14 feet.
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

Dragyn Vyrus wrote:i went to napa and bought 12 feet for 4 gauge(i do beleive its 4 anyway). As it turns out 12 feet is too short, i would recommend at the least 13 or 14 feet.
i ordered 20 feet just to be sure and i had enough to do my 2-3 feet ground...
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

mazdags94 wrote:When you mention 'vent' the battery box.... do you mean exposing it to outside air? I would assume that there are harmful vapors that are released? Does the vent need to be large or just enough to provide some air movement?

How did you vent it?
I got a brass fitting at Home depot, and tubing, and the tube exits throught the rubber plug in the bottom of the spare tire pit. It's all in my worklog.
Wytbishop, I recommend getting a fuse next to the battery, in case it shorts somewhere along the way. I'll put up a pic of mine.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

I bought a 15' jumper cable with 3G. cable and cut the clamps off.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You don't need to have a vent if you have a sealed battery like an Optima.

It seems that people that relocate their battery usually have issues, usually with starting. I would recommend to go as big as you can afford. The longer the distance the more resistance there is in the wire. I would say go with 2awg, and make sure you're grounds are good; strip the paint, nut and bolt it down, not a screw, and put a fuse as close to the battery as possible.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”