injectors...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
94drumx3

injectors...

Post by 94drumx3 »

i just put in my injectors and my car finally started up. however i needed to readjust the timing, so i did and the second time i tried starting it, it turned twice, stopped and i looked up and the engine caught fire.
did i not install the injectors properly?
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: injectors...

Post by SuperK »

Does it matter now? Do you still have a engine?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

could be the o rings on the injectors. mine did the same thing about 2 years ago, i replaced the injectors but didnt replace the old o-rings and i was driving and one of them broke and starting spraying fuel. just a thought, hope all is well with your car. post pics
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

yeah everyhing is just fine...i actually took the fuel rail off this morning and yeah one of the o-rings was shredded and it was spraying fuel everywhere. crazy!
but yes i was able to put out the fire in time...no wires are burnt.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well good to hear everythings ok. how does the car run?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I did that once.. I drove 15 km and came home, and there was a pool of gas in the hollows of my intake mani. I'm luckier than you, I guess.

Lube the rings when you put the injector back in. I used spit, nothing fancy.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

thanks for the tips. yeah i'm not sure how the car runs now...i had to special order some injector sealer kits...supposed to take a week tho...from advanced auto parts.
i'll let ya know how it runs when i get em in...have to redo the timing. i think i'm doing the timing right, its just really hard on my own.
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

k so i managed to get the sealer kits in. its kinda crazy how they say its a pack of 4 and what shows up is a pack of like 2 and a half...?!
anywho, got em in, engine wouldn't even turn.
smacked the starter twice and it finally turned but sounded way off. so i redid the timing about 5 times ( i still have the worst time with the timing), finally got it to fire right up. but its now having a horrible time staying running, i think it might be dirty injectors. possilby.
here's what its doing:
it starts and runs real low on its rpms but if i try to give it some gas it will stall. now if i start it up with the pedal to the floor it'll stay running with super high rpms (duh) but it'll respond to more 'pedal to the metal' instead of dying like before, but then as soon as i let off the gas it'll die again.
what do you think? dirty injectors? needing new ones or what?
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

It sounds like your timing is still a little bit off, you can adjust your distributor to compensate a bit and if it still idles too low, there's an idle adjust screw on top of the throttlebody. I had the same problem when I did a bp swap last year.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

alright redline, i'll try that today, and let ya know what happens.
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

ok so i messed with adjusting the distributor and it did have an effect on the rpms at idle but NOT on throttle response. it keeps dying after i start it, wont stay running. and again still responds to high revving but once i let it go back down to 3000 or below it quits responding again and bogs and dies. any other suggestions?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Maybe your air flow meter is stuck shut. That happened to me, sounds like what you're going through.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

i tried to start the car this morning, and it fired right up. its no longer dying after bout 30 seconds but rather stays idling. (?)
i readjusted the distributor to make it idle at about 1k rpms. also adjusted that screw at the top of the throttle body, seemed to help a bit.
But its still dying when i try to give it gas. again, if i go ever so gently it will slowly but surely accelerate but give it to much and it quickly bogs and dies.
(also what i had mentioned before about starting it with flooring the gas and getting ok throttle response there, is now gone...but i dont mind cause it stays idling now).
i dont have a VAF in it yet....i was told i didn't need that to keep it running, just makes it run more smooth. i went to the jy yesterday tho and the guy wanted 50 bucks for it...is that a lil high for one that i'm not sure if it will even work?
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

You need the VAF that is why its dying.

Go get the VAF.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

You need the air flow meter, that's why it's dying, I definitely agree. You shoulda told us you were missing it!

I am headed to my JY for some injectors... do you want me to see if I can get you the VAF? If they want say, 30 bucks, (plus shipping) would you be interested?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”