Odd Iac operation

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Newfie_dan

Odd Iac operation

Post by Newfie_dan »

ok first let me start off by saying that I have researched the IAC issues many people face and I have throughly cleaned mine and here is what I am finding. When its warmer out say between -10 and up degrees celsius the idle works just fine, no problems it just starts high (@2000 rpm) and then drops down to a comfortable 650~750 rpm when warm and stays steady at that when at idle. But when cold say -21 degrees celsius it jump around between 1000~1500 rpm. I plug it in at night with the block heater when it reaches those temps. Now I have never had an IAC work and then not work on me. Its intermittent and I never get any codes with it which I find really odd. Its a 96 and obd2 setup. As an added note it has always been slow to return to idle when at a light say about 5-10 seconds to come down to the low 750 or so rpm range. So any ideas on it or anyone have a good IAC/complete throttle body with the IAC on it for sale? :P
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Odd Iac operation

Post by Daninski »

Ok Dude a shot in the dark here. Spray your throttle linkage liberally at the throttle body with a light lubricant/penatrant (not WD40) and see if that helps. Usually if there's a moisture issue it would cause issues once the ambient drops below 0. Cheers.
PS I have a 96 as well. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

yeah I was checking out ur profile before, I am also going to be looking at a klze swap and I might hit ya up for some info once I get it all gathered together for the swap. I should also mention that the engine is fully warmed up when the idle goes jumpy on me. If I do a cold start it just wants to idle high then when it hits operating temp it starts to jump. Also the slow return to idle is there no matter what the temp is when the IAC is working right.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Everything shrinks in the cold(except water, but is weird). It could be that there is such a small leak somewhere that it only apprears in the colder weather.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Quote, Everything shrinks in the cold, unquote. It's true. I had that problem at the beach once. :(
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Daninski wrote:Quote, Everything shrinks in the cold, unquote. It's true. I had that problem at the beach once. :(
This one's for you Dan- http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1937986.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ha Ha Ha, thanks. Just what I needed shameen. When I saw your name on this post I was expecting a link to the on-line manual. Are you breaking with tradition now. lol
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

ok I found the problem after replacing the IAC/ t/b (thx for the deal daninski), the intake boot had a nice hidden crack in it. The first rib from where it connects to the vam had a crack right at the base of the raised rib where it was nice and out of sight. It must have been open just enough when the car was cold to cause the idle issue. I was a lil ticked to say the least. Well either way I recommend Daninski for buying stuff of. He gave me a good deal on the complete t/b.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”