What is the Best Brand Clutch?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
caruscar

What is the Best Brand Clutch?

Post by caruscar »

I am going to be using the stock Flywheel and wanted to know what is the best Clutch I can buy that will give me long life? I have a Mazda GS 1993 1.8L.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: What is the Best Brand Clutch?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's plenty of topics on clutches...search the site for clutches for KLZE's and the same manufacturer. They're literally the same clutch no matter if it's for a 1.8 or 2.5 V6's. Get those recommended manufacturers and stay away from eBay no-name and "JDM" clutches.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

i bought a clutch on ebay F1 racing clutch stage 3 for my ZE with my 1.8 tranny and the clutch was a piece for s---...it was done after 3 mounts... so now i bought an expensive one compaired to the F!.. my clutch right now is a bully performance clutch stage 3...its perfect and im turbo... its never slipped once... so DONT buy ebay s---... do it right the first time and you'll save money in the end...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

I sent you a PM but clutch masters come highly recommended.
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

I bought a f1 racing clutch stage 2. don't seem to have a problem yet... bought it off ebay in auguest.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Clutchmasters
Xgreddy
Centerforce
ACT

A lot of them

Don't go XTD... bad expierence. After 20k miles it was gone on my ze (normal driving)
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

colinf004 wrote:I bought a f1 racing clutch stage 2. don't seem to have a problem yet... bought it off ebay in auguest.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

Yet crossing my fingues
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

lol ;)

Unless you do the labor yourself, the clutch isn't something you want to cheap out on and have to pay for a new clutch AND labor again...

You get what you pay for and it cost more in the long run.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

He's got a STOCK 1.8L...and you're all giving him performance clutches that he doesn't need.

Get an exedy organic clutch, the stock one is fine...it will be cheaper and hold up perfect to your 1.8,,,just remember to break it in!

If you plan on upgrading to a bigger engine or going turbo, look into performance clutch. I have a clutchmasters stage 1 on my ZE and its been great since august...excellent pedal feel too. Pucked clutches will chatter so I would stay away from them since you don't need one, and also stay away from kevlar if you can!
caruscar

Post by caruscar »

Now when you mean Break in use it normaly for about 500 miles right?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

use it normally for ~3000 miles will probably give you the best break in, but ~500 for a stock clutch should be OK. Drive normally, dont rev past 3k, dont punch it into lower gears, don't launch from a stoplight, etc.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Another to think about with performance clutches is South Bend.
Cody
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

If its just a stock K8 like you said. Just go buy a normal oem clutch for a mx6 2.5L klde. its bigger disk and will last awhile ona k8 if you take care of it.

Anyways I got ACT hdss and love it. It ha s anice positive feeling an has never let me down. the pedal is a bit harder than stock but once you get used to it it is simple. Clutchmaster are really good. But from expereince driving them I just don't like how they feel. South Bend is really good and have been proven as well as Bulley. Canadian comany if you wanna support them too :D
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

onlytrueromeo wrote:He's got a STOCK 1.8L...and you're all giving him performance clutches that he doesn't need.

Get an exedy organic clutch, the stock one is fine...it will be cheaper and hold up perfect to your 1.8,,,just remember to break it in!

If you plan on upgrading to a bigger engine or going turbo, look into performance clutch. I have a clutchmasters stage 1 on my ZE and its been great since august...excellent pedal feel too. Pucked clutches will chatter so I would stay away from them since you don't need one, and also stay away from kevlar if you can!
I have an Exedy organic on mine, and my engine is built to be very torquey, and is about 200HP. It grabs and holds really well. The only time it ever slipped was when I drag raced for the first time, and shifted badly in the higher gears. On the third run it started to slip a little, because my shifter was sloppy, and caused me to shift slowly while the RPM climbed.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”