Speedometer remembers old life as toothpick, help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Thassodar

Speedometer remembers old life as toothpick, help!

Post by Thassodar »

So my speedometer has started acting funny. Around 50-60 mph it says "Eff u man!" and dances all around 70-90 mph doing a little jig. It started a few weeks ago when I noticed it was getting a little shaky when speeding up, and then about 3 days ago it got A.D.D. and started seeing what the other numbers were up to.

It goes back to normal when I hit about 45-40 mph and lower, but as soon as it hits about 60 it gives a little wiggle and takes off. I don't know how to get to the "cluster" behind the panel, so any help with that would help. I even have $10 off at my local Mazda junkyard, so I can get the speedometer cable (there is one, right) for fairly cheap.

Would I be better off getting the custom gauges or whatever from ebay since I'll probably have to be working behind there anyways? Any help would be appreciated. I've got a 92' 1.6 SOHC, by the way.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
Dark_Rider2k3

Re: Speedometer remembers old life as toothpick, help!

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I'm not sure what the problem could be (someone here will probably know) but I do know how to get to the gauge clustr.

First, you need to remove (I think 4) screws underneath the steering wheel (the cover that is behind the steering wheel that protects the electrical to the switches and ignition). With the screws off, the top and bottom split from each other.

Then, you should see (behind the steering wheel) a black rubber protector. Behind that is 2 more screws that must be removed.

After removing them, there are 3 more that need to be removed. If you look at the gauge cluster, on the panel that keeps you from taking it out, there are 3 screws on the top part (they can be removed with a small screwdriver.. ). I hope that I worded this right (it was hard for me to explain). Anyways after you remove those screws, that panel can be removed, now allowing access to the gauge cluster.

If you have a mechanical speedo, you are probably going to have to reach up from under the dash to pull the cable off (mine was on pretty tight and I had to get under the dash to remove it), but the electrical cords can easily be removed by just pulling them off.

Hope that helps!!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

RITALIN, METHYLIN, METADATE, Generic MPH, FOCALIN, CONCERTA, DEXTROSTAT, DEXEDRINE SPANSULE, ADDERALL, ADDERALL XR, STRATTERA. These are just a few of the useful medications to address A.D.D. symptoms. You'll probably have to replace your speedo tho.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Does it make a funny noise while its at it? Mine does it in the cold, but only jumps around 5ish each direction, and it goes away...

Guage cluster is easy to take out.

The one screw beneath the steering column furthest to the driver side door. Pop off the cover around the column. Lift up the rubber tabby thing you just exposed. It helps to drop the tilt steering. Do those two screws. Take off the three on the underside of the cowl for the cluster, and then remove the whole cowl. Remove the four screws exposed, and then do something weird.

Fold your seat entirely back, and get in it upside down. Put your butt where your head should be and your head in the footwell. Reach your right arm up behind the cluster and feel for a thicker cord. Its stiff, and if you wiggle it front and back the clsuter will move. Grasp it close to the cluster and figure out the clip.

Voila. Cluster out.

Sorry for the horrid typing, I'm really in a rush, I need to leave for work. Good luck.

Search around some more about getting it out of the tranny side. Apparently thats harder, I've never done it.

Oh yeah don't forget the electrical plugs. You can reach all of thsoe from the front though.

From what I've heard from emchanics, you can just lube the cable and put it back in.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

hmmm so.. if the cable is not lubed, then it can make a strange noise? I've been hearing a noise from inside my car and I was assuming it was the speedo, but i'm betting now it's the speedo cable!

Might have to do that when the weather gets nicer out...

you learn something new every day :D
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

Honestly I don't know if it makes a noise or not, because I have two 12" subs in the trunk... Did you know the hatch makes the whole car a pretty damn good box?

I'll TRY driving without the stereo on (I'll probably die) to see if I hear a noise. I gotta keep my car together until my new job starts paying nice, so I may wait until then to get a new speedometer set off of Ebay or something. Until then it seems like it has mood swings on when it does and doesn't want to go all hyperactive on me. Maybe bipolar better describes it?
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

Your speedometer cable is getting ready to go, for a 92 it will be a mechanical cable. One out of either an mx-3 or 323 should work without any trouble. Technically, you dont have to pull the cluster to replace it, if you can get your hand up high enough from underneath the dash to undo the clip holding it in, it'll save you alot of work. Look under your hood for a cable coming out of a rubber grommet near your master cyl and follow it down to the trans. You'll need a long extension to get to the bolt, I think it's a 10mm and just wiggle and pull the gear until it comes out. Just be careful when putting in the new one since they are kinda delicate. I've had to replace 3 of these cables in 2 yrs with my 323 and that's been the easiest way for me.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”