head swaps frankenstein

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nlsolja123

head swaps frankenstein

Post by nlsolja123 »

i am kinda interested if a K8 head would fit on a klde?

I know the intake and exhaust would suffer but would the heads bolt up and any idea what the compression ratio would be if they do?
mazdags94

Re: head swaps frankenstein

Post by mazdags94 »

Just to guage your intentions as well as my curiosity, why would you want to do such a thing?

I think the heads shoud fit but the engine may not run efficiently. Also, i think the DE is a long block whereas the K8 is a short block. Not sure if this is 100% but if so, I'm also not quite sure how that would affect the setup.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Do the the water jackets and oil returns match at all with the bore being different? :?

This post sounds familiar, so familiar that as I wrote that I did a search:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65227&hilit=1+8+head+block

Not very conclusive, but some valid points. I'd sooner try having ZE heads on a 1.8 block, then turbo, and have awesome flow but on a lower drag/tax class. Infact I'll just stick to ZE :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Please don't do this.

The ONLY Frankenstein you want is ZE heads on a DE block (or vice versa if you want stronger retainers but are too lazy to swap them). ZE heads are the best flowing heads. k8 heads are too small.

Just say no!
se7en

Post by se7en »

mazdags94 wrote:Just to guage your intentions as well as my curiosity, why would you want to do such a thing?

I think the heads shoud fit but the engine may not run efficiently. Also, i think the DE is a long block whereas the K8 is a short block. Not sure if this is 100% but if so, I'm also not quite sure how that would affect the setup.

LOL, this is not the first time that I have heard this statement.

Long block refers to the complete engine, heads and all...and the short block refers to just the bottom end(no heads, etc)

the reason there is this confusion I think is because chevy had low deck and tall deck blocks(as well as ford, and others)the tall decks were used sometimes for industrial, and big truck stuff where the piston had three compression rings instead of 2.

oh, and ya, just say no to k8 heads on a DE.
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

having heads with smaller diameter combustion chamber thant the cylinder on which they sit will make for a really, really bad burn.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You can compensate for the smaller head by increasing the length of the shaft, you know.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

This is what I mean...

Those corners will obstruct flame propagation and create an excellent spot for the collection of carbon deposits.

Its just a bad idea.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mazdags94 wrote:Just to guage your intentions as well as my curiosity, why would you want to do such a thing?
Ya, I'm still wondering what would be the purpose of that...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

se7en wrote:

LOL, this is not the first time that I have heard this statement.

Long block refers to the complete engine, heads and all...and the short block refers to just the bottom end(no heads, etc)

the reason there is this confusion I think is because chevy had low deck and tall deck blocks(as well as ford, and others)the tall decks were used sometimes for industrial, and big truck stuff where the piston had three compression rings instead of 2.

oh, and ya, just say no to k8 heads on a DE.

LOL.... learned something today :lol: . Good thing I followed my statement with "i'm not 100% on it."
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

the reason im asking is the honda people put 1.5/1.6 blocks and heads together, as well as the b series 1.6/1.7/1.8/2.0 block and head combos, it give advantages in tq while keeping hp close to the same. also would it be possible to put kl heads on a k8?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

KLDE and KLZE heads are effectively interchangeable.

If the difference in displacement was small (meaning that the difference in bore size was small) the problem would not be so noticeable. You would still have a serious carbon collection point though where the smaller combustion chamber overhangs the cylinder wall.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

onlytrueromeo wrote:You can compensate for the smaller head by increasing the length of the shaft, you know.
This is somewhat true, however, if you have a small head, then there's less to "catch" during your "revolutions" thus rendering a less than optimal experience.
It needs to be a balance between head and shaft size. One exaggerated size compared to the other isn't optimal.

... Or so the girlfriend says.

Wait, what are we talking about again?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Enough with the innuendo.

Inyourendo.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

SuperK wrote:This is somewhat true, however, if you have a small head, then there's less to "catch" during your "revolutions" thus rendering a less than optimal experience.
It needs to be a balance between head and shaft size. One exaggerated size compared to the other isn't optimal.

... Or so the girlfriend says.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

:lol:
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”