major battery? problem.. please help

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
halfblackaaron

major battery? problem.. please help

Post by halfblackaaron »

ok so my car is dead. I have a 93' GS. I started it right up fine at first. then I was testing a few things and unplugged my pcv valve. The car then died so I plugged it back in. After that the car wouldn't start, it wouldn't even turn on. no dash lights, no fan, nothing. even when turning the key I still get nothing. not even a click... as if there wasn't even a battery hooked up. I ran a series of tests.. nothing is working. the fuses are fine. I tried the battery from my roomates car and got nothing.all cables are connected. no corrosion.. but then get this...

after checking everything everything seems fine. I attempted to jump it and still got nothing but get this. I turn my fan swith on and connect the neg. jumper to the negetive connector on my battery, the possitive jumper to the metal loop that sticks up on the left side of the motor, and when I touch the two cables together on the other end everything turns on. but not enough juice to start the car. I am soo confused. what does this mean?
1993 mx-3 GS nothin fancy just bought for 400 bucks and Im already lovin it!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: major battery? problem.. please help

Post by Daninski »

Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal and stepping on the brake pedal for 15 secs
I had the same issue happen to me while I was setting up my engine and this worked for me. Let the engine run for at least 15 mins after it starts so the ecu can relearn.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
halfblackaaron

Post by halfblackaaron »

ehh I forgot to put that I had already tried that too... and it didn't work.. that only resets the ecu anyways right? that shouldn't have anything to do with abosolutely none of the electronics working.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

bad ground?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Explain what you are doing with the jumpers better - I don't quite follow.

Are you using another car with this? Meaning you are connecting the 2 negative terminals and then connect your positive battery terminal to your car's engine loop via the other jumper? (I don't know how this would do ANYTHING but make sparks)

Are you basically connecting 1 end of a jumper to you negative battery terminal and essentially grounding it to your car? (It sounds like you are taking 1 set of jumpers and attaching 1 end to the engine lift loop and leaving the other end free, then attaching your other jumper to the negative terminal and also leaving 1 end free then touching both free ends...)

Check your negative battery terminal. There is a wire that branchs out from that that grounds to the car like 6" away. It is essential for the car to start that this wire be connected and in good shape. If there is any rust on the car where it connects, get a wire brush and clean it and reattach is, then try again. If this wire is broken, it needs to be replaced! Simple 12ga wire will not suffice. I would recommend a nice 2-4ga wire, or some welding cable if you can't find that. You don't want to lengthen it, keep it as short as possible.
halfblackaaron

Post by halfblackaaron »

amazing thank you! now that I think about it thats most likely my problem.. let me explain what I was doing a tad better.. I know it sounded somewhat confusing.

one set of cables. and only my car. on one end the positive it connected to the loop on the left of the motor and the other to the negative connector on my battery. then taking the other end of the jumper cables and touching them together.

is there anyway that someone could show me a pic of what this ground wire should look like and where it should go?
halfblackaaron

Post by halfblackaaron »

it was the ground wire most definately! thank you soo much. It was something simple and I was set on thinking it was something completely different. But back on the road for now. :)

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”